Join now - be part of our community!

VGN AR71S Hard Disk

profile.country.el_GR.title
galensbane
Visitor

VGN AR71S Hard Disk

I'm owner of a VGN AR71S.

It has 2x250gb sata hard disks in raid 1.

I'm thinking to replace them with an ssd ocz agility 60gb and with a WD scorpio blue 750gb.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi galensbane and welcome.

I believe the 750GB WD Scorpio Blue is an Advanced Format Drive and you will need to check that the larger sector size used in the drive is compatible with your Vaio and your version of Windows.

Your Recovery Discs are not compatible with an Advanced Format Drive and cannot be used to reinstall the Operating System.

If you are going to install your own OS from a Windows installation disc (Vista SP1 or later) this should be OK but you will need to turn off RAID in the BIOS before starting.

What do you want to load onto the SSD?  Windows and programs?

I would read up carefully on Advanced Format drives before making a decision to buy one.

:thinking:

galensbane
Visitor

Greetings and thanks for your answer.

I was thinking to use the ssd for operating system (windows 7) and programs and the 750gb for various data.

In the bios there's only a show/hide option for the dos raid menu (i suppose it can be turned off from there).

With a first look advanced format seems a bit confusing and tricky (firmware updates to avoid performance degrading etc), so if i choose instead the Scorpio Black 750GB (plus the OCZ Agility 3) I should have no problem?

Message was edited by: galensbane

micntamo
Visitor

i got both ocz 60gb and black scorpio 750gb and i've installed it without problem easily (raid wasnt a problem)

thank you so much for your help.

micntamo
Visitor

now i'm thinking to upgrade the vga (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT) and the cpu (Core 2 Duo T9300)

is that possible?