Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FS295VP questions about upgrading

per_s
Visitor

VGN-FS295VP questions about upgrading

Hi!

I have some thoughts to give my Vaio some new life by adding some RAM-memory and installing Vista. I have some questions I didn't find answers to by searching this forum. Thankful for any advise! My q's:

1. If there are two memory slots (didn't check yet...), can I just add one 1Gb memory and achieve 1.5 Gb RAM? Or is it a better idea to buy two 1Gb mem's? According to the tech spec it says that max 1Gb mem's are supported, is this really true?

2. A friend (using a Siemens) said he installed Vista on top of the XP (without formatting) with success. Should this be possible on a Vaio?

Details on my laptop:
VGN-FS295VP, bought in september 2005
Intel 1.73GHz
HDD: 80Gb
RAM: 512 Mb (to be upgraded)

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi per_s

According to the specs your FS295VP supports a maximum 1GB RAM, your vaio has two slots, one contains a 512mb DDR 333mhz So-Dimm module.

Therefore you are able to install another 512mb ram module in the empty slot.

Have a look at Cruical.com several members have bought extra RAM from crucial and another benefit from buying from Crucial is there memory compatibility guarantee. :wink:

Also you may find this guide, from Sony, on how to upgrade your Vaio's memory of interest.. :slight_smile:

per_s
Visitor

Thanks for your advise and the links. I found the Crucial 512Mb memory at a webshop in Sweden for a reasonable price.

Do you have any advise whether to install Vista or not? Can it be done without formatting the HDD?

Will my Vaio handle Vista, or will it be to much? I have now XP Pro installed since September 2005 and I think it's much slower than it used to be. Long time to boot Windows, swapping a lot to the HDD etc.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have an XP model Vaio and have resisted the urge to upgrade it to Vista.. :wink:

You can use the Vista Upgrade Advisor to determine if your vaio can run Windows Vista, which I think it can, use the following link to download the Vista Advisor: Vista Upgrade Advisor ..

If you do decide to install Vista on your FS295VP then there are a selection of Sony driver and Utilities for your FS295 available HERE

per_s
Visitor

Thanks again, mr T!

I have another idea that my friend mentioned. To replace the HDD and install Vista on that one. Then I will have the possibility to "undo" if it fails by putting the old HDD back inside, correct?

Anyway I need a bigger HDD. I have 80Gb now, would it be possible to replace with a 120 or 160 Gb? Will my computer support it?

Where can be found what type of HDD to buy? According to " http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/specifications/specifications.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FS&m=... " it's a IDE 2.5". Could the "Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 160GB 8MB 2.5tum IDE 5400rpm" be suitable?