Join now - be part of our community!

vgn-fw21e touchpad driver windows 7

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mathooto
Visitor

vgn-fw21e touchpad driver windows 7

I recently had to upgrade to windows 7 (my original harrdrive that came with the laptop died).

I have managed to recover most of the functionality of my sony vaio, however, I can't find anywhere, for drivers, that gets the scroll sides of my touchpad working.

Pretty sure it's the alps touchpad, my windows hardware seems to find it as a ps2 mouse, not the alps touchpad.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mathooto
Visitor

Ahh ok, I have sorted it,  mananged to find some drivers for an alp trackpad, with x64 from levono? I think someone said originally they were Dell drivers, I guess all laptops are mostly the same, since it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the continued support Rich, I am putting this one to bed now. Cheers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mathooto,

Have you tried installing the original Vista touchpad driver - as there are no Win 7 drivers available from Sony?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW21E/updates

You may need to install this using the 'Have Disk' method - i.e. by updating the driver in Device Manager and then point the wizard in the direction of the downloaded and extracted pointer driver folder.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...  Click Have Disk....  Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathooto
Visitor

Hi Rich, thanks for that, I think I have found the links you suggested.

they were hiding in plain sight :wink:

Matt

Message was edited by: mathooto

mathooto
Visitor

So, interesting developement, I downloaded the drivers, and was assuming that I would simply update the drivers for the ps2 mouse device I saw there (thinking that was the touchpad) however, it continues to assume it is a ps2 mouse when I click and redirect the drivers to the ones I downloaded.

There is nothing in device manager that states any kind of input device such as a touchpad.

Anyone know where it appears in device manager, or how I can do an automatic install of the drivers. There are no install.exe files from the driver folder (as I assumed) but I cannot find which device I need to update.

I have no conflicts, other than one that states 'base system device' PCI bus 10, device 3, function 2

So I am once again at a loss as to how I can resolver this.

mathooto
Visitor

OK, not sure where my reply went to so I'll write it out again.

Bascially, there's nowhere to update the driver onto, I tried reinstalling the driver of the ps2 mouse device it finds, using the freshly downloaded drivers, but it still claims it to be a ps2 mouse.

I can't find a device for the touchpad in my device manager, to update the drivers with, and the drivers don't come with an setup.exe type installer.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mathooto,

You are correct in your assumption that it is the PS/2 mouse that you need to update the driver. Assuming that you have followed the instructions above I am uncertain what the problem is but it would seem that the drivers have not installed (I assume you did extract the Zip file to a new folder?). Have you checked to see which driver the PS/2 mouse is currently using?

There are no setup files as you say so the recommended method of install is via Device Manager – updating driver. The only other method is to right click Apfiltr.inf in the extracted driver folder and select 'Install'.

For the ‘base system device’ install both Memory Card Reader Writer Drivers from the link provided. Again there is no setup.exe so to install the above applies.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathooto
Visitor

errorTrack.jpg

This is the error I get when I browse to the driver folder, and select the apfiltr.inf

mathooto
Visitor

Ahh ok, I have sorted it,  mananged to find some drivers for an alp trackpad, with x64 from levono? I think someone said originally they were Dell drivers, I guess all laptops are mostly the same, since it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the continued support Rich, I am putting this one to bed now. Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mathooto,

I’m pleased to hear that you managed to find the correct drivers.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat