Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW41M 32bit to 64bit Upgrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
nasomme44
Visitor

VGN-FW41M 32bit to 64bit Upgrade

hi

is it easy to upgrade from the orginally 32bit to 64bit win 7 OS ? please.

the VGN-FW41M originally came with vista 32 bit then ordered the update disc to upgrade to win 7, now buying after effect cs5 and it turns out it only support 64bit OS, so i want to upgrade the vaio too but i want to know if its a straight forward/easy as the laptop is used daily and cant afford a whole day of delay please.

any advise or recommendation very appreciated.

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi natchildcare,

Unfortunately, there is no simple upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You will need to buy a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and make a clean install which will format your C:\ drive to remove all traces of the 32-bit system before it can install the 64-bit version.

You will lose all the preinstalled Sony software and this cannot be replaced so you will have to buy new software to do any tasks like play Blu-Ray discs etc.

You will need to install all the drivers and utilities manually as there is no Sony support for any sort of automatic installation. You can download these individual drivers and utilities for the 64-bit version from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW41M_H&os=10

To summarise, it is possible to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 if you are prepared to lose all the pre-installed software. Sony do provide all the 64-bit drivers and utilities for your model but it will take you some time to install these individually and to solve any subsequent problems.

:slight_frown:

engyong
Visitor

Hi,

I installed the Windows 7 64-bit in my second partition. All worked fine but it took me the whole day to install the driver.

It is wise that you keep your original windows in the first partiton. In case your latop breakdown. You might need it.

My hard drive gave me some problems two months ago and I got it repair from Sony. Now I got a new hard drive and will not install 64-bit back. I do not see any advs so far.

Fortunately I kept the original one and some software were useful in my work.