Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

VaioPMNS
Visitor

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

Hi,
I’m a newbie VAIO user having bought a VGN-FW51JF/H, which has a Blu-ray combo drive.
Only in the last few days have I decided to try out a simple CD-R burning and was quite shocked to notice the drive can only write at 4x, when the specs claim it goes up to 16x for CD-R!
The built-in drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01) and I tried three different software burners to no avail,(including Nero )all listing 4x as the top speed. Also tried 3 or 4 brands of CD-R…Sony, Memorex, Verbatim and nothing! Not only is the drive picky on the speed (taking 20 mins), but even pickier with the media…some burn well, others don’t (Memorex failed right at beginning, but Sony media pulled through).
I installed all the available updates from the support page, but apparently there is no firmware update, for the drive, to correct these serious issues. I still haven’t tried the normal DVD burning, but inserted one and at least the speed was displayed as expected, 8X, so I assume it’s only behaving like this for CD-R media.
In a store, also made a small test on another PC, exactly the same model, and once again the reported speed was 4x, so this is not exclusive to the one I bought.
Does anybody else have this issue ?
Is there a firmware for this drive ? I tried everything and couldn’t find anything…
I have one day to decide if I should keep the PC or not, as there are no guarentees Sony will acknowledge this bug and release a firmware to correct it L
Thanks in advance

78 REPLIES 78
VaioPMNS
Visitor

I don't much like the idea of reloading my entire laptop as it has only just been built up to my software requirements/email etc.

I also don't like the idea that any hardware they woudl put in if it was to be returned would be property of Sony. This is my property, I paid for it and it doesn't work .

Starting to get a little peeved. I will have to wait for an update as I dont want to restore my entire laptop just to prove that its a formware/driver issue.

This is really starting to bug me, it’s more than obvious that no reloading would correct this issue, and all our defective systems are a proof of that. We’re in different countries, with similar models and individual operating systems and we ALL have this issue... no reloading of the OS would affect the programming in the drive naturally. I’m baffled at these kind of replies, as it shows no effort or understanding in trying to solve specific issues…they just have to copy & paste the generic steps in generic troubleshooting.
How about technical support inquire the responsible parties, for the development of firmware updates, and then let us know if yes, no, maybe, never, etc… Besides us here in the forum, no official word has come out… regarding the update, is it coming or is replacement the only choice ???

kaepten-koma
Visitor

Same here. i don't think anyone who is responsible for developing firmware updates is aware of the problem or will be aware of the problem soon, since the sony support does not seem to forward this issue to a superior.
I keep getting the "copy&paste-information" as everyone else here.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

i don't think anyone who is responsible for developing firmware updates is aware of the problem or will be aware of the problem soon, since the sony support does not seem to forward this issue to a superior.

Sony are aware - however I'm not sure at the moment what action is being taken or how long it will take to release a fix or even if one will be released at all..

As soon as I know more I'll let you all know..

radar2000
Visitor

Hi everyone.

First time poster here from Canada.

Just purchased a new Sony Vaio VGN-FW520D notebook at the end of last month and have the same issues with the slow read/write speeds of CD-R media.

This notebook contains the Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01). According to the specifications that were provided to me when I purchased my notebook from Sony, this drive was suppose to have the following speeds:

Write

CD-R x16, CD-RW x10, DVD-R DL x4, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x4, DVD+R DL x4, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x4 , DVD-RAM x5

Read

CD-ROM x24, CD-R x24, CD-RW x24, DVD x8, DVD-R DL x6, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x6, DVD+R DL x6, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x6, DVD-RAM x5, BD-ROM x2, BD-Rx2, BD-RE x2, BD-RE DL x2, BD-R DL x2

As most of us on this thread can attest, I'm experiencing poor speeds of 4X. This is not acceptable.

I've already placed a call into Sony support here in Canada a week ago and have yet to receive any call or email response.

One of the main reasons as to why I invested into this Sony notebook was to transfer my large CD music library into iTunes. I specifically asked Sony for these drive specifications and based on the information that I was provided, I made this investment. So far, this has been truly disappointing.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

One of the main reasons as to why I invested into this Sony notebook was to transfer my large CD music library into iTunes.

Hi radar2000,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

The burn speed of 4x should not affect the speed that you can import an audio CD into iTunes, I do remember reading something a while back that iTunes users have reported that speeds are slower since iTunes 9..

Have tried changing the settings in Edit > Preferences > General > Import Settings.. :thinking:

radar2000
Visitor

One of the main reasons as to why I invested into this Sony notebook was to transfer my large CD music library into iTunes.

Hi radar2000,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

The burn speed of 4x should not affect the speed that you can import an audio CD into iTunes, I do remember reading something a while back that iTunes users have reported that speeds are slower since iTunes 9..

Have tried changing the settings in Edit > Preferences > General > Import Settings.. :thinking:

Hi Thalamus.

Thanks for your response.

This unfortunately is not an iTunes related issue as I'm also experiencing this with Winamp Pro, Nero and other ripping software.

Update...

I just borrowed a friends external USB DVD writer, a 4 year old Sony DW-G120A drive and have tried to rip/burn the same CD's and others that I had used with the Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01. Guess what? I was able to rip/burn at 27X!!! This proves to me that there is a definite issue with the Vaio's Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive and has nothing to do with any software/OS settings.

I personally feel that it is time for Sony to step up and address these issues. On Monday I will be contacting Sony Support and Sony Canada to demand to speak to a Sony Vaio Product Manager, as someone needs to take accountability for these issues. These individuals have a responsibility to contact Pioneer and request for a firmware update/patch from Pioneer's development team.

I will keep everyone updated with me progress.

Thank you.

ccya965041
Visitor

Finally I use the Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 LJ,
and burn the CD with almost 16.0x

I return back like Windows XP recommends user:
To burn CD,close all the apps,and go to the Task manager,
and set priority to high,and gaining the speed in the burning apps

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Hi, this is a curious tip but I still had no chance to test it out truly. You have to start burning and change the priority during the process? What CD media were you using? Does it work only on Roxio 10? Did you test data CDs?

I only experimented on changing the priority, without burning, and it still identifies only 4x…

Anyway, this is a bit farfetched and still not a solution. Everybody’s still waiting for the proper fix. I want to be able to use any recording software and have it detect the proper drive speeds automatically, namely Nero, and without having to tackle with the priorities in task manager.

This drive has serious problems that need to be fixed...the burning issues, type of media supported, and slow audio cd ripping speeds reported by several users. So i’m asking you to continue fighting for what’s right..you paid a lot of money for your laptop and you deserve a proper CD Burner, don’t stop complaining.

Sony, we’re still waiting for that firmware. It’s inexcusable that nothing is being said about this!!!

yoshitweaky
Visitor

I tried the tip posted above and it made no difference for me.

ccya965041
Visitor

I insert the Memorex 52x CD-R 50 times to the BD ROM drive(BDC-TD01),
I found that,the Roxio could not identify the Max Disc Speed,
Most of the time is 24x,and the lowest lock on 4x

Before the 50 times test,I have clean the magnetic head for the CD/DVD

I don't know why the burning speed would be so low in this drive,
and the max speed is not accurate

Properly is the firmware problem,
but I can't search any firmware for BDC-TD01