Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

VaioPMNS
Visitor

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

Hi,
I’m a newbie VAIO user having bought a VGN-FW51JF/H, which has a Blu-ray combo drive.
Only in the last few days have I decided to try out a simple CD-R burning and was quite shocked to notice the drive can only write at 4x, when the specs claim it goes up to 16x for CD-R!
The built-in drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01) and I tried three different software burners to no avail,(including Nero )all listing 4x as the top speed. Also tried 3 or 4 brands of CD-R…Sony, Memorex, Verbatim and nothing! Not only is the drive picky on the speed (taking 20 mins), but even pickier with the media…some burn well, others don’t (Memorex failed right at beginning, but Sony media pulled through).
I installed all the available updates from the support page, but apparently there is no firmware update, for the drive, to correct these serious issues. I still haven’t tried the normal DVD burning, but inserted one and at least the speed was displayed as expected, 8X, so I assume it’s only behaving like this for CD-R media.
In a store, also made a small test on another PC, exactly the same model, and once again the reported speed was 4x, so this is not exclusive to the one I bought.
Does anybody else have this issue ?
Is there a firmware for this drive ? I tried everything and couldn’t find anything…
I have one day to decide if I should keep the PC or not, as there are no guarentees Sony will acknowledge this bug and release a firmware to correct it L
Thanks in advance

78 REPLIES 78
kaepten-koma
Visitor

Sony Germany said the exact same thing, but I need my computer for work.

I got a Sony Vaio FW-5 (boght in December 2009).

If they use customers as beta testers, they should at least listen to the feedback. I don't get it why Sony is not reacting at all. I mentioned this thread a few times, but not a single Sony employee semed to be interested when I mentioned that people all over the world have the same problem with that drive.

profile.country.de_DE.title
lemoineyves
Visitor

Hello again,

As I said previously, I fully agree with the proposal ".... we should draft a united letter demanding an immediate fix to this issue"

The address of the European repair center is :

The European Sony Customer Care Centre
Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Da Vincilaan 7-D1,1935 Zaventem
Belgium

As I'm not an English native, could someone prepare the letter, at the end we should all mention our current address completed by our notebook model and place/date of purchase.

This morning I burned (with Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 LJ), at a speed indescently limited at 4x several data CD-R's for my University students and it took me one hour !!!!

We can't accept this situation, as we bought a notebook with a Combo burning CD-R at 16x.

Greetings from France

radar2000
Visitor

Rogermarie, I would suggest that we ask all of our members affected with this issue to caloborate together and look for direct email addresses for those at Sony Europe & North America who currently hold senior positions. For example... senior product manager, senior sales manager, Chief Operations Officer (COO).

Mailing is a good start, but paperwork is easily put aside and sometimes lost. With an email, you have a better tracking mechanism.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

For the attention of VaioPMNS....

I have sent you a Private Message, use the following link to View your messages: Private Messages

radar2000
Visitor

Thalamus, I don't see any PM. Please advise.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks.

radar2000 I didn't send a PM to you.. :thinking:

profile.country.nl_BE.title
pierredejonck@ak64
Visitor

Hi,
i am from Belgium and i have that problem to with the VGN-FW51JF/H.
Only two weeks old, thats means you can always buy that machine with this problem.

Pierre

radar2000
Visitor

Thanks.

radar2000 I didn't send a PM to you.. :thinking:

My apologies...I thought you were referring to me.

kaepten-koma
Visitor

For the attention of VaioPMNS....

I have sent you a Private Message, use the following link to View your messages: Private Messages

I would like to get a private message from you as well :smileygrin:

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Does anybody have any new news? What’s the status on the situation? On my side, everything is the same… no acceptable solution in sight!
I think it’s time we start mobilizing together to get some answers and mailing as many times as necessary the senior representatives directly, somehow. I’m seeing little to no effort, from Sony, to solve this matter…they seem to want us to send our PCs for repair but don’t explain officially and publicly what they plan to do, and I find this unacceptable…, there are reports of PCs that return even worst from repair. We all seem to be getting the copy & paste answer, and this is clearly solved with an update….if it’s not possible then tell us It’s not possible, not throwing sand into people’s eyes, as we will not let this thing go. If it’s not possible with an update, then tell us what kind of procedure the repairing does. If the previous drive had an update released on the page, why can’t this one have also?
We paid for a 16x burner, and we get a 4x that doesn’t even recognize DVD+R !?!? Who finds this acceptable for 2010 standards !?!? If it depends on me, no one I know will ever get a good impression of Sony Vaio if they plan to buy a laptop. There are cheaper brands, with robust designs, with great specs, that are completely reliable on every aspect, which we expected also when we committed to buy a Vaio.
I suggest we start spreading the word on other forums as well… I’m not an English speaking citizen, but I think I can manage fine in writing a formal e-mail explaining the situation... we only need to know e-mails…