Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-NS10L/S laptop - wireless drivers

SOLVED

VGN-NS10L/S laptop - wireless drivers

Hi,

Long story short: hard drive was badly damaged (something droppoed onto keyboard whilst starting up) and has had to be replaced.

Unfortunatley there were no repair/backup disks - lesson to be learnt there!!

I however need the wireless drivers - device manager doesnt recoginse the device at all.

I have tried downlaoding the ones from the support site, but these are for 32 bit systems, and this laptop has vista 64bit.

Can anyone help ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi papabear100 and welcome.

Unfortunately, Sony do not support the 64-bit version of Vista on your model.  Your Vaio was sold with Vista 32-bit preinstalled, so I presume you have loaded the 64-bit version when you installed the new hard drive.  Consequently, you are going to have problems as it is not just the wireless driver you need.  You need the SFEP driver also and probably many others to get everything working properly.

You need to find out if you have an Atheros or an Intel WiFi module installed - this should be shown in Device Manager.  An intel x64 driver should be easy to find but I don't think there is a x64 Vista Atheros driver that is easy to find.  I don't think Sony supported any Vista Vaios for 64-bit systems.

Google will probably find you a x64 Atheros WiFi driver for Vista but you need to install the SFEP driver first.   You can try the one in the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities section of the Support website for the VGN-NS20S/S which is 32bit/64-bit compatible: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NS20S_S/downloads/Preinstalled_Drivers_4058

A 64-bit Intel WiFi driver is available for this model also.

Come back if you still have a problem.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi papabear100 and welcome.

Unfortunately, Sony do not support the 64-bit version of Vista on your model.  Your Vaio was sold with Vista 32-bit preinstalled, so I presume you have loaded the 64-bit version when you installed the new hard drive.  Consequently, you are going to have problems as it is not just the wireless driver you need.  You need the SFEP driver also and probably many others to get everything working properly.

You need to find out if you have an Atheros or an Intel WiFi module installed - this should be shown in Device Manager.  An intel x64 driver should be easy to find but I don't think there is a x64 Vista Atheros driver that is easy to find.  I don't think Sony supported any Vista Vaios for 64-bit systems.

Google will probably find you a x64 Atheros WiFi driver for Vista but you need to install the SFEP driver first.   You can try the one in the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities section of the Support website for the VGN-NS20S/S which is 32bit/64-bit compatible: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NS20S_S/downloads/Preinstalled_Drivers_4058

A 64-bit Intel WiFi driver is available for this model also.

Come back if you still have a problem.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Unless you need a 64bit OS wouldn't it be simpler to purchase a set of recovery disks fom the Vaio support team?