Join now - be part of our community!

vgn-z51xg windows 2008 web server r2

profile.country.en_GB.title
darrentweedale
Visitor

vgn-z51xg windows 2008 web server r2

Hello,

I need to play around with windows 2008 web server r2 (part of my job) and had installed it successfully on this laptop.  However, as I suspected, not all the features are not working!

I missed the "stamina/speed" button not appearing to make any difference, and the power saving feature where it can change the colour/res when on battery power to save even more power.

Is it possible to get those working or any newer drivers I can use?  I did try install the drivers (inc graphics driver) and installing various apps via the vaio updates - one particalur bad one was the "vaio events" - it kept bringing up a message every minute or so complaining about the battery is not correct (but it is) - managed to get around that by disabling that service.

Any help would be appriecated.

Thanks

Darren

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Darren.

Presumably you are installing the Windows 7 drivers?  Most of these should work with Windows Server 2008 - but of course there are no 100% guarantees.

I think you need to install some of the Originally Installed Drivers and Utilities from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z51XG_B

It sounds like you need to install SFEP, SPIC, Battery Checker Utility, Setting Utility Series, Vaio Event Service, VAIO Power Management and the latest nVidia Graphics Driver.

These should fix the Speed/Stamina, Special Keys, Fn Keys, Power Saving Features and stop the battery warning.  There are also some updates for these under the 'UPDATES' Tab.

What else is showing in Device Manager as not properly installed with a yellow warning ! - if you list these perhaps someone can point you at the correct driver.

Good Luck

profile.country.en_GB.title
darrentweedale
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,

Thanks for looking into this.

I reinstalled windows 2008 server R2 and installed the drivers/app as you mentioned.  I did use the win7 64 bit link you had.

unfortunately, no difference.  None of the fn+function keys appears to work and neither does the stamina/speed switch (it lights up, but doesn't toggle when switched over)

Still get the message complaining about the "battery not properly connected and only option is to click ok to hibernate"- only cause of action is to end the ISBMgr.exe process.

Looking at the services, I see that "VAIO Power Management" service failed to start - closer invesigation point to the spmservice.exe file and it says it timed out waiting for service to start.  And it also indicated that the problem is "System.IO.FileNotFoundException" but no idea what file its on about.

Any ideas?

Darren