Join now - be part of our community!

Vista fails to install, fails to identify volume on 2 x disk system.

tallguy999
Visitor

Vista fails to install, fails to identify volume on 2 x disk system.

I bit the bullet, downloaded the drivers and attempted an install of Vista on my Vaio VGN-AR21S. The install see's the two 100gb disks, but continually tells me there is no valid partition on which to install. I've deleted partitions, created partitions, formatted partitions but to no avail. Has anyone else seen this? It's a big pain.

20 REPLIES 20
bbcworld
Visitor

Hello,
The camera does not go, for example (under Vista), with my Vaio Ar21S? Why?

admin
Visitor

works fine here.. did you follow the instructions as per booklet ?

admin
Visitor

Does this look likr the raid is set up correctly ??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi thorpemark,

Yes, it is set up correctly as a single RAID Volume(0) of 186.31GB. That is a relief as most users would wish to change C:\ to about 50GB and D:\ to about 140GB.

Isn't it odd that Sony USA and Sony Europe have chosen to do Vista upgrades in a totally different way - I find that amazing!!!!!

I will escalate the Blu-Ray issue to Sony - are there any other issues with the AR21S/AR11S ?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Oh thorpemark,

You can download KB929734 FROM HERE (32 & 64-bit versions available)

:wink:

admin
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo,

Assuming that hotfix does solve my problem with the IR receiver not functioning after the laptop has been in sleep mode. I think the only thing outstanding is WINDVD BD. They must have it available for the AR31S and the american version, although It won't install on my machine stating it is not a valid Sony Machine..

Yeah I find it V strange that they have taken a different upgrade route.

I nearly re-sized my partitions but not knowing how big Vista was chose not to until it was installed. I believe I can change the sizes from within Vista now with out losing data..

The disk sony provided didn't give me the option to delete my recovery partition, So I first booted my XP recovery disks to get rid of that.

I suppose it can't be that easy having a generic vista disk catering for every machine, so I kind of expected a few things may need fiddling with.

I expected I would have just got an OEM upgrade disk, So I was quite please when I was able to perform a clean installation in one step, and all the applications and drivers where included on another 2 disks with an auto installer..

Overall I like the Vista experience, which is strange cause in XP I had all the effects turned off and everything in classic mode to get maximum performance.. But the AR21 seems to be having no problems with Vista.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi thorpemark,

I have escalated the whole issue of playing Blu-Ray discs to Sony support and in particular the WinDVD BD download.

I am pleased you are enjoying Vista on the AR21S as I have a AR31S on order!!!!!!!

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony advise me that "due to unforseen circumstances" WinDVD BD for Vista is not yet ready for release.

The anticipated release date is "early in April".

They may be in touch with you direct.

:slight_frown:

tallguy999
Visitor

Your comment on my RAID setup is interesting. Must admit, RAID is not my 'hot topic' but since I've had the laptop it's always appeared within XP as two drives (C:& D:) of about 85gb each. Bearing in mind you never get the full amount of space for a quoted drive size, I always assumed therefore that RAID was not being used. I've done two restores from the recovery disks and on both occassions have ended up with the same/default config. Is this then RAID without me realising it? Am I getting any benefit from this that I didn't realise? :)) Appreciate this is going off topic, but would be interested to know.

BTW: I discovered last night that my Sony Ericsson phone software won't install on Vista, so I'll be waiting for an updated version of that before trying my next attempt.

Regards,

Steve

smjazz
Visitor

I have unsuccessfully attempted to upgrade to Vista Premium on my VGN-AR21S, using the express guide and CD's. Vista installed OK, however whenever I attempt to use the program uninstall within the control panel I get the blue screen of death, and cannot identify why. Has anybody successfully installed Vista via the express guide route, or know how to resolve this problem.