Join now - be part of our community!

Vista Licencing

lapenass
Visitor

Vista Licencing

Hi. This is my third thread already. This time I would really like to know why doesn't Vista accept the original key from a sticker on a bottom of a notebook after clean install? I know taht the key is an OEM,so it can't be used for online activation. But... I know all those hacks with SLIC emulation an certificate installation (For those who don't know: Vista comes preloaded on almost all new brand notebooks. To avoid online activation, OEM manufacturers preactivate OS so that an end user does not have to do it. Everything needed is a BIOS supporting SLIC (software licensing table), a digital certificate and a matching key of OS. When Vista detects a SLIC, digital licence and a key installed, it permanently activates). So, after I did a clean OS setup, I had to use such a 'hack'. I installed a Sony certificate, but Vista does not accept a key. OS somewhy knows that the key is for Home Premium version as during setup, after it being entered, Vista installs Home Premium. But when setup is finished and a certificate installed, I do not have the OS activated, instead it gives me three days to activate! When I changed a key, my Vista became permanently activated. So what the hell is wrong with the original product key?!!! I have a licence for my Vista and want to use an genuine product :slight_frown: Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
lapenass
Visitor

My Vaio now runs flawlessly, so I wasn't going and am not going to contact Microsoft. Just think Sony should consider preinstalling only a clean OS and all the software should come on DVD's. Then there completely wouldn't be any reason to reinstall an OS :slight_smile:
P.S. What about SATA? How shall I enable it? I see some SATA controller installed in Device Manager, but in general Vista says the drive is PL ATA (???!!). Silicon Image icon in Control Panel doesn't seem to do anything but just be there. :slight_frown: