Join now - be part of our community!

Vista new nVidia Drivers issue FE31Z

Mike.Brannigan
Visitor

Vista new nVidia Drivers issue FE31Z

There are finally a whole load of drivers and apps now available for Windows Vista on a FE31Z.
However the nVidia driver is exhibiting a problem.

When you close the lid the screen goes black as expected however on opening the lid it remains black (yes the machine is still active not suspended or asleep).
This is exactly the same problem that was known and acepted with the hacked drivers from laptopvideo2go.com, but these are supposed to be the certified proper drivers for the GeForce Go 7600 in the FE31Z and yet they look and perform like the hacked files.

Did anyone at Sony actually test these before release?

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
patrickbrans
Visitor
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Mike,

The issue seems to have been resolve in the FE41 series by updating the BIOS

Mike.Brannigan
Visitor

Hi,

It is not a BIOS issue on the FE31Z, as I am running the latest BIOS (Feb 21st 2007).

Mike.Brannigan
Visitor

http://club.vaio.sony.be/clubvaio/BE/nl/forum/viewthread?thread=39627#190389 Should solve your problem :slight_smile:

Hi,

Unfortunatly that thread does not actually conclude with a resolution as liek the poster on that thread I have all the actions set to do nothing on closing the lid etc under my power management.
I still beleiev this is either a video driver issue or a hardware one. It is not related to the power management settings.

Mike

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

It is not a BIOS issue on the FE31Z, as I am running the latest BIOS (Feb 21st 2007).

Hi Mike,

The BIOS update released for the FE41 series is BIOS Update R0200J3

This BIOS Update fixes following issue

* Display stays dark after closing when lid close action is set to Do Nothing
* Sometimes system hangs when unplugging AC Adapter in standby.

Some user have reported that this has solved the problem as you can see in this thread , it's upto you if you decide to install the BIOS update..

Mike.Brannigan
Visitor

Hi,

Hi Mike,

The BIOS update released for the FE41 series is BIOS Update R0200J3

This BIOS Update fixes following issue

* Display stays dark after closing when lid close action is set to Do Nothing
* Sometimes system hangs when unplugging AC Adapter in standby.

Some user have reported that this has solved the problem as you can see in this thread , it's upto you if you decide to install the BIOS update..

I understand that, but just how safe is using the BIOS designed specifcally for one model on a different one ?

Regards,

Mike

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Mike,

I would have thought it would be ok to use the FE41 BIOS update as the FE 1,2 & 3 series share the same R0172J3 BIOS (see here )

But as I've said it's your choice if you install the BIOS update.. :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Double check the supported list - usually printed at the bottom of the downloads page for which the BIOS should be used for.

Mike.Brannigan
Visitor

After taking the jump and installing the latest FE41Z BIOS on my FE31Z the problem with the screen remaining black after closing and opening the lid appears to be fixed.
There do not appear to be any negative effects of using this BIOS on the FE31Z.
All systems are functioning normally.

Mike