Join now - be part of our community!

Vista SP1 and sigmatel drivers

familyowen
Visitor

Vista SP1 and sigmatel drivers

Back in April 2007, I posted a thread setting out the difficulties I had with vista on my VGN RC102. The problem was that the Sony supplied sigmatel driver ( 6.10.5290.0 ) disabled line in monitoring.

Now that SP1 has been released I notice that Microsoft has stated that:

To help ensure a positive update experience, Windows Update will temporarily not offer Windows Vista SP1 to systems that have the following device drivers. In some cases, these device drivers are problematic on Windows Vista-based computers when you update to Windows Vista SP1. By installing updated device drivers, you will resolve the issue and enable Windows Update to offer Windows Vista SP1.

Audio drivers

Realtek AC'97 • For x86-based computers: Alcxwdm.sys - version 6.0.1.6242 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Alcwdm64.sys - version 6.0.1.6242 or earlier
SigmaTel • For x86-based computers: Sthda.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Sthda64.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier
SigmaTel • For x86-based computers: Stwrt.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Stwrt64.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier
Creative Audigy • For x86-based and x64-based computers: Ctaud2k.sys - version 6.0.1.1242 or earlier
• For x86-based computers: P17.sys – all versions (This was originally a Windows XP-based driver.)
Conexant HD Audio • For x86-based computers: Chdart.sys - version 4.32.0.0 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Chdart64.sys - version 4.32.0.0 or earlier

As you can see, the Sony supplied driver has been identified as one of the "rogue" drivers that stops SP1 being offered to users via "Windows Update". Since Sigmatel (now IDT) will not supply OEM drivers, is Sony going to provide an updated driver for this (and probably many other) computers!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi familyowen,

Sony are aware of the issue and are looking into the problem.. :wink:

There is also a Microsoft Hotfix KB937287 Update which should also be installed prior to the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). Unfortunately this will not help with the SigMatel driver issue.. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
pauphill3
Explorer

This sort of implies this is a new issue. But SP1 has been in beta for ages, Sony should have a solution out now, there has been plenty of time to work with Microsoft and the manufacturer to sort it out.. Yet another poor customer experience with Vista and Drivers with a Sony product.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

This sort of implies this is a new issue. But SP1 has been in beta for ages, Sony should have a solution out now, there has been plenty of time to work with Microsoft and the manufacturer to sort it out.. Yet another poor customer experience with Vista and Drivers with a Sony product.

This is not just a Sony problem, HP, Gateway, Dell, Panasonic & Toshiba are affected also.. :slight_frown:

I found this comment amongst the many posts in the Vista blogs..

"As updates for these drivers become available, they will be installed automatically by Windows Update, which will unblock these systems from getting Service Pack 1."

Personally I don't understand the hurry, I won't be rushing to install the SP1 update on my Vaio.. :dizzy: