Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEA1S1R Short high pitch noise

profile.country.uk_UA.title
Irene_Pom
Visitor

VPCEA1S1R Short high pitch noise

Hi all,

After 6 months my Vaio started to produce occasional loud noise from the place the hard drive is installed. It is sort of high pitch crackling lasting 1-2 seconds and occuring maybe 5 times a week. I cannot connect it with the battery issue which is described here on the forum as it happens when my laptop is working connected to the adapter.

I would be happy to identify the reason myself before attending the service as they can tell me that they hear nothing and my laptop is OK.

Thanks,

Irene

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Irene,

Intermittent problems are a real problem both for the user and for Vaio Support.

I would keep a note of when and how often these noises happen and keep your data backed up regularly.  It may be worth registering your problem with Vaio Support - just so they can monitor if this is a one-off problem or if others are also affected.

Have you tried running any hard drive diagnostics to look for possible problems?  Start by running CHKDSK and see what that finds.

To Run CHKDSK: -

1. Click on Computer.
  2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  4. To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.
  5. To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of
  6. bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
  7. To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
  8. Click Start.
  9. Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes.
  10. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Note
If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains your Windows installation), you'll be prompted you to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.