Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEC1S1E/BJ Second Hard Disk?

profile.country.en_GB.title
leizhou98
Explorer

VPCEC1S1E/BJ Second Hard Disk?

Hi All,

I have a VPCEC1S1E/BJ and yesterday just loss the screws and have a look on the hard disk position. I found there're two empty position could contain 2 hard drive, only one of them are occupied at the moment. When I checked the sockets, what a strange!! only one socket available there, if I want to make a second hard drive operational, it's definitely need to replace the socket, any one have ideal about 2nd hard drive accessories? It's pity I didn't take a photo there.

Thanks in advance.

Lei

26 REPLIES 26
talv86
Visitor

did you ever find out which connector you need to get to put your 2nd hdd in, ive got the same one and want to put a 2nd drive in mine.

experience30
Visitor

did either of you ever find the replacement ribbon cable to add the 2nd drive?

talv86
Visitor

no i need one though i tried to contact the sony viao help support people and they said they couldnt help and i needed to contact the retailer, who incidentally are sony, i bought a couple of dual hdd connectors off ebay for other sony laptops hoping they might work but with no luck.

:@:@:@ so annoying

cdpbrid
Visitor

Have you got any further with this? I've just bought a Vaio vpcec2s0e and there is space for a secondary drive. I've got a 256mb SSD and a 750gb drive I want to install as the basic 320gb is not enough for me.

Looking at the various models the VPCEC3S1E/BJ appears to have 2x 500gb drives installed, so I would expect that there is a cable that connects the two drives together.

I'm tempted to have a drive to the local sony store but I'm certain that when I get there they won't be all that concerned or interested to help as it's going to be a lot of work for something that is probably rather cheap.

My only worry is that it is a different mobo and if so it would not be cost effective.

Does anyone know where you can get a parts list for the laptops from? this would help no end.

cdpbrid
Visitor

Well I have finally found out what the part number is for the second hard drive cable.

It is:   PN: A1766534A M980 SATA HDD FPC (Ref 903)

It is about $70 from the states, but I can't find anyone at Sony UK that will sell me the part. Apparently, to authorise the sale of the part, you have to have a serial number for a laptop that actually has the required part in it! - Strange eh!

dacaine70
New

Hi all,

This cable is something i've wanted ever since i received my laptop so i'm very interested in this thread.

Maybe it would be possible to order from the servicesplus.sel.sony.com to a redirection service and have it delivered to the UK that way.

It's about the only decent option I can see, Why can't they just sell them to the UK I wonder?

Is anyone here interested in clubbing together for shipping and getting a few over to the UK?

Cheers

Daniel

profile.country.it_IT.title
pepppe
Visitor

I have the same Vaio EC1S1E and I need the same fpc double cable.

I've checked the model number that you wrote but the Sony homepage says that it's for Vaio VPCEC1M1E.

M1, not S1.

It is the same thing?

Thanks

dacaine70
New

peppe, it is the same basic model as far as i can tell but the different model numbers show which have single and which have dual drives.

Obviously we would want to buy the cable from a dual drive machine hence we look at a different model for the parts.

profile.country.el_GR.title
Gklitsman
Visitor

Greetings, I 'm owner also of a laptop of this family and I would like to add also a 2nd hard disk.

I found the topic very usefull and I did a small research also.

So obviously we are talking for something like this:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/0f57f8c275.jpg

and this is what we seek in his "dual" version:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/3ba9c72c24.jpg

If you check at:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-parts.aspx

and search for "M980 SATA HDD FPC" at the "Description contains:" field, it 'll return the:

"M980 SATA HDD FPC" and "M980 SATA HDD FPC SINGLE" results - links.

Probably we need the 1st one (the non "single"), anyone can confirm this somehow btw?

So, any ideas or further research about the above?

Can we actually easily order it from the above link?

Thanks in advance.