Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEC1S1E/BJ Second Hard Disk?

profile.country.en_GB.title
leizhou98
Explorer

VPCEC1S1E/BJ Second Hard Disk?

Hi All,

I have a VPCEC1S1E/BJ and yesterday just loss the screws and have a look on the hard disk position. I found there're two empty position could contain 2 hard drive, only one of them are occupied at the moment. When I checked the sockets, what a strange!! only one socket available there, if I want to make a second hard drive operational, it's definitely need to replace the socket, any one have ideal about 2nd hard drive accessories? It's pity I didn't take a photo there.

Thanks in advance.

Lei

26 REPLIES 26
jasmith1694
Visitor

it most definately IS possible, i have just sucessfully upgraded my e-series laptop from single to double m980 sata, with the part number mentioned in this thread,

jungleguru
Visitor

The part is available in the states through Sony service plus page, or  on a independent online store, BUT, it costs nearly £130 through them  (inc. import tax)...

Search Results

and through Sony you need to be an approved Sony technician or something  like that.  There is a thread about this on the Sony UK support  website.  On researching I found a solution.

You can order though either of the following sites, but on the  markit.eu/uk site you need a company registration number or VAT number  as they are a business to business seller, and I suspect you need one  for the site too.

- RPA Distribution

uk.MarkIT.eu ? Hard drives all ? m980 sata hdd fpc double connector

I went to my local IT laptop repair shop as I don't have a VAT number  and asked if they could order one in from markit.eu, they told they can  order it cheaper from their supplier, for just £65, which is cheaper  than direct from sony!

This is their site -
pcrepairsltd.com

Laptop Xperts LTD,
Unit 3,
82-96 Old Kent Road,
London,
SE1 4NX
0207 701 7818

You need to order over the phone, as they don't sell though their website what with being a shop.

The part you need to ask for is M980 SATA HDD FPC.  Took about 1 1/2  weeks for the part to arrive in their shop, fitting it, while a little  bit tricky, was really a piece of cake.  I put in a Seagate Momentus  750GB into the second bay for £75.

Seagate Momentus 750GB Review (ST9750420AS) | StorageReview.com

So I now have a 128Gb C300 & a 750GB Momentus in my laptop, and they are all full already...Just need another 2TB now!

musicmadman
Visitor

Well I've been trying to find the same thing as you guys here... Best I could do is this: http://www.weareelectricals.com/products/Sony-M980-SATA-HDD-FPC-A1766534A

Cost incl. delivery comes to £45 exactly. Still pricy, but better than anywhere else once delivery + VAT is added on.

angelfirelex
Visitor

Hi all,

I have a Sony E series VPEC490X buyes from US

i see that most of you want to buy a double connnector for the second HDD

i just did this upgrate this week, the connector come in 2 days

you can find it preaty cheap like 30-60 pounds

what i buy was a M980 Sata HDD FPC, to be onest, dosent mather code number...and other stuped things, when i ask sony UK, they was not able to help me because my laptop was not buyed from UK, but from my experience any part for the same computer even is a differit code it should fit. + sony are to expencive for parts ... so now i have 2 HDD, any help PM

alapike3
Visitor

Hi All, I have been searching for a solution to this since I got my Viao, my old one had connectors for Two hard drives but not my new one.

A friend of mine works for Sony and told me about this site:-

http://www.cbaseonline.co.uk/pgProduct.cfm?Product=15359_285_199029-A1766534A-M980_SATA_HDD_FPC

£39.11 inc VAT so not too bad, delivery was very good and fitting it was a doddle.

Hope this is of some use to you?

Regards...................................

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
mszajna
Visitor

Hello, I was reading your post from awhile ago and I was wondering if you needed to add anything else to your system when you added a second internal Hard Drive to you Sony VPCEC390X? Do you simply need the double SATA connector (i.e. the M980 Double) in you HD Bay or do you also need to change things with your Operating System (I am using Windows 7) or use something like RAID or any other software changes?

alapike3
Visitor

Hi All,

I too have been following this thread and have a VPCE series with space for a second Hard drive. I did some searching and the best price so far for the part needed in the UK is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004X6HRS0/ref=asc_df_B004X6HRS09978026?ie=UTF8&condition=n...

The part is a doddle to fit and as I fitted a SSD the boot up and programme load speed is lightning fast. I replaced the original hard drive with a bigger 500gb drive far better allround. I loaded the official windows 7 onto it as I made the recovery discs as advised by Sony.

From Amazon UK £40.33 Delivered

Hope this helps,