Join now - be part of our community!

VPCSE1C5E Win8 Pro connecting external display

profile.country.da_DK.title
carstenmalta
Visitor

VPCSE1C5E Win8 Pro connecting external display

Hi guys,

I have just purchased an external display (Dell UltraSharp U2412) that I would like to run as the only display when I'm working.

However, when I connect it, I cannot get it to work in any other modes than "Duplicate" in the Win8 second screen settings.

If I choose "Second Screen Only", both displays go black (except I can see the mouse pointer on the external display. If I choose "Extend", my laptop display is active, but the external display goes black (except I can see the mouse pointer).

I want to be able to attach the external display, shut the lid of my laptop and continue working. I also changed the power settings to "do nothing" when I close the lid, but this shuts down the laptop display AND the external display when in "Duplicate" mode.

I am running Win8 Pro that I installed a bit prematurely (before Sony came out with the upgrade kit), but I have been through and updated all of my drivers, so it shouldn't be that. And of course, since I am an idiot, I don't have a Win7 recovery disc, so I cannot roll back to Win7, even though I would love that.

In the future, I would love to be able to use a docking station, but I'm hesitant to invest in one, if this display problem is persistant.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carsten

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.de_DE.title
benediktj
Visitor

Hi Carsten,

i can confirm your problem. In my situtaion the ati graphic card only doesn't work on windows 8 with the resolution 1920x1200. The screen is connected via dvi-interface.

I think, not the mode (extend, duplicate, ...) but the resolution is the problem. Duplicate works because the resoultion gets automatic lower. All video drives used on my vaio vpcsa3 are provided directly by sony.

My second graphic card (intel 3000) works fine with 1920x1200 resolution.

If someone has an idea how to solve our problem, please let us know.

Best regards,

Bene

profile.country.ro_RO.title
ioanitescu
Visitor

Hi,

Same problem on my VPCSE upgraded to Windows 8 using only Sony tools (Vaio Upgrade...). 1080 works fine, 1200 doesn't work.