Join now - be part of our community!

Wake from sleep question...

Simcarloc
Visitor

Wake from sleep question...

Hello all,

I have just purchased a Vaio VGN-NS30E. My question is this -

I have configured the laptop to sleep when I close the lid, but how do I configure it to wake when I open it?

I cannot find an option for this anywhere and am starting to worry that my laptop is faulty as this is a feature that is generally enabled by default on laptops...

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Simcarloc
Visitor

Anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Welcome Simcarloc,

Unfortunately I do not have the magic fix but I do remember this was sometimes caused as a by-product of hibernation being disabled in error by the disc cleaner in Vista.

May be worth checking that hibernation is enabled.

I have also heard of this being cured by updating the Video driver. Do you have Intel graphics? You could try downloading the latest driver from the Intel site. A word of warning, Sony have disabled the self installing .exe so you may have to download the .zip version and extract the files. If there is an .exe run this - otherwise go to Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Intel 4500M -> Update Driver and manually point the installer at the .inf file in the extracted files.

No Guarantees but it will give you something to try!

:thinking:

Simcarloc
Visitor

Thank for for your response Blencogo.

I have checked and hibernate is enabled as an option, but even when I select hibernate instead of sleep I have the same problem.

I spoke with Sony today and they said that there was no way to utilise opening of the lid to wake the computer - first person said that only physical action such as cliking button or key would could wake the laptop and the second person said that Vista did not have an option for wake on opening the lid.

I find this all very odd as it's a function that even my old and crusty IBM had; I have never seen a laptop that does not wake when the lid is opened! It would be helpful if other NS30 owners could confirm they have the same issue, at least that way I can eliminate a hardware fault.

I may look into updating the Intel drivers but I thought that it is generally recommended to use Sony drivers as they are modified...? I can't believe something so simple is proving to be so tedious...

:slight_frown: