Join now - be part of our community!

Watch and Record TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
careyclose
Explorer

Watch and Record TV

OK, I have given up trying to get the TV program working on my older Sony Vaio desk top (running XP) It was easy before digital, I could just plug the aerial in and there it was.

I have a newer Sony Vaio all in one desktop VPCJ1 running windows 7 64bit. No TV card only usb ports. Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how how I could watch and record TV on this computer. What extras would I need and which software. Any suggestions accepted.

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

This is possible with the addition of a USB DVB-T tuner.

As it happens I have just replaced my old one (it packed up) with this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCTV-Systems-DVB-T2-nanoStick-Tuner/dp/B004C1176E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=136...

...which also receives freeview HD channels.

This works perfectly well with Windows Media Centre but does include a software programme for watching TV which I'm no over keen on.

If you are looking for third party software then try Media Portal - this is free open source software that works.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

This is possible with the addition of a USB DVB-T tuner.

As it happens I have just replaced my old one (it packed up) with this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCTV-Systems-DVB-T2-nanoStick-Tuner/dp/B004C1176E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=136...

...which also receives freeview HD channels.

This works perfectly well with Windows Media Centre but does include a software programme for watching TV which I'm no over keen on.

If you are looking for third party software then try Media Portal - this is free open source software that works.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Thank you Rich. I have read the reviews on amazon and they seem to be fantastic. I have been struggling with my older vaio trying to connect through a digital set top box but have given up in frustration. This sounds like the thing I am looking for. I have never used the Media Centre so have some research to do. I suppose it is a bit of a leap from XP to windows 7. Some of the pre installed stuff on the newer vaio is not upto the standard as the one's on the older vaio, but much faster. Thanks again for the intro, I wouldn't have known what to look for, try and let you know how I get on.:smileyhappy:

Regards

Sorry, something I didn't ask you is will I be able to find the file of a film or program I have recorded to load in to Pinnacle 16. The files used to be saved on my hard drive automaticly.

Message was edited by: careyclose

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Windows Media Centre, by default, stores the recorded programmes in C:\users\public\recorded TV

They are in dvr-ms format and I have no idea whether Pinnicle will recognise or work with this format. The software that comes with the card uses a more standard format and therefore may be a better choice if editing is needed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

You are a star

Regards

careyclose
Explorer

Hi Rich, received my TV stick today, followed all the instructions connected to a roof aerial tried to install and it failed to scan any channels. So i took my PC to another room and connected the stick to our main TV aerial, thinking was that I know thisone works. tried to install and ended up with a error message "error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because a cabinet file D:\TV centre\64 bit\data 1. cab has invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. error 24592 was returned by WinVerifyTrust."

Unfortunately I don't understand a word of that  and wouldn't know how to correct it. I can use a computer but don't understand them in technical terms. What a neat bit of kit, only sorry it didn't work for me. I have sent a email to the support people; just hope they don't tell me to mess with any registry stuff.

Regards

will keep you informed

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Assuming that 😧 is your DVD drive I can only assume that there is a problem with the supplied software on the disk – this is not unknown. You could try cleaning the disk which sometimes helps. Otherwise ask support to send a new disk.

Have you tried installing the drivers only and then scanning for channels using Windows Media Centre? With just the drivers installed and the device recognised in Device Manager this should work – at least then you would be able to use it and will eliminate a problem with the device itself. Note that the remote will not work with WMC so you need to use mouse or keyboard.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Hi Rich,

I think I am destined to fail on this project.  Cleaned the disc and used my external drive instead. First tried your suggestion to load drivers and use media centre to scan channels, unfortunately I have never used this program and could see nothing to say scan channels. Anyway I tried to load TV centre expecting the error message, didn't happen but still doesn't actualy show it is scanning. When I click on the i tab it just shows a lifeless panel with: TV channels 0. Radiio channels 0. unknown 0. After about ten minutes I click next and it congratulates me on a successful install, takes me to TV Centre which shows "Empty Channel List". I check the aerial cable on two other TV points and no problem so the cable is ok. I am waiting for a response from their tech guys. Will keep yuo updated just for the knowledge sake. Hope you don't mind.

Regards

Message was edited by: careyclose

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi careyclose,

Rather than relying on email support, which could result in toing and frowing over a prolonged period, I suggest you call them on the local number (0207 378 0202).

For the WMC setup, if you have not already done so, install the Windows Media Centre drivers from the install disk.

Then check that PCTV 290e is listed in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Open WMC, this should then show Recorded TV highlighted.

Hover the cursor toward the bottom of the screen and click on the down arrow. ‘Tasks - Settings’ will now be highlighted, click on this.

Click TV and then click ‘TV Signal’.

Click ‘Set Up TV Signal’ - if you get a popup asking if you wish to continue then click Yes.

Select United Kingdom and click continue.

Enter your postcode and click next.

Agree to terms and click next.

Select ‘Update TV Setup Data’ and click next.

Examining TV Signals will commence – it will take several minutes to complete.

When complete the next screen should confirm that ‘Digital Antenna (DVB-T) (1 tuner) was detected – check ‘Yes, configure TV with these results' and click next.

On the next screen click Next.

The next screen will ask about download method for the guide. I choose Manual as the Auto option can cause the computer to wake from sleep at unexpected times – your choice but if you elect for Manual you will need to download the guide approx. every week and I can guide you through this process if necessary.

On the next screen click Next.

TV Channel Scan will now start – again this will take some while (possibly up to half an hour) but a progress bar will be displayed that should include the number of channels found during the progress. My Windows 7 system detects 122 channels (including HD – Windows 7 WMC, but not Vista) but this may vary depending on region.

Once scan is complete click Next and on the next screen click Finish.

Click the back button until you return to the main screen and then click ‘TV’. Click ‘Guide’ and select a program.

That’s it – it should then play the selected programme.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with both PCTV support and WMC.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
careyclose
Explorer

Hi Rich, You are my saviour, I followed your instructions and eureeka!!! it worked. I now have 122 channels. The tech guys sent me a email to down load something from their site so they could check out my computer, problem was the link didn't work, took me to an ooops page. I don't much mind not having their software program but i will have to see if the WMC files are compatible with Pinnacle 16, they should be because part of this PCTV system has Pinnacle stamped on it, might even be able to convert them. I am so grateful for your patience, unfortunately I have a heart condition, bypass, pacemaker and atrial fiblulation brought on by stress, this didn't help. Wish I could buy you a drink; you deserve it.

Thanks again