Join now - be part of our community!

Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1TB Ethernet Drive

profile.country.en_GB.title
julmoore4
Visitor

Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1TB Ethernet Drive

I have recently purchased this external drive from PC-World and have used it with my wifes Acer notebook with fantastic results. Being able to access all my data at home from anywhere I travel to worldwide using MioNet software.

I have a Sony Vaio FZ11Z Notebook which I think is fantastic too, but I cannot get the MioNet software to work on it.

I have left a contact at WD but had no reply as yet, and would like to know if any of you guys would have an answer for me.

Thanks in antisipation LOL :laughing:

6 REPLIES 6
julmoore4
Visitor

So can i assume that nobody knows anything about this problem then!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi

Welcome to Club Vaio.

Is your wife's Acer running Windows XP?

Are you sure MioNet is compatible with Windows Vista - the FAQ's say you need XP or 2000 - see here: -

http://www.mionet.com/products/faqs.jsp#faq_7

This may well be out of date but worth checking!

:wink:

kee-lo_

This is why I stuck with the USB 2 edition, as I knew it was alright with Mac, Windows XP and Windows Vista, but the ethernet one won't support Vista, well not as yet anyway.

julmoore4
Visitor

Thank you very much for your help, I have installed the thing on my Sony Vaio FZ11Z and it crash and froze during the boot after signing in. When I installed it on the Acer it installed perfectly, the only thing seems to be a request for a driver that refuses to load.

The Acer is running Windows Vista 32 Home Premium, as is the Sony Vaio.

Having made further enquiries on the internet there are loads of people trashing Mionet, which is a shame as the idea is great, the theory superb but the practise a mess!!

If the thing can be sorted out i would be able to use it all the time.

I am shortly going to Birmingham for 6 months and would be very pleased to be able to access my data from my hotel room. I suppose a VPN is the answer, but I spent £200 on this thing and want it to work!!

Thanks again

kee-lo_

You might not have to spend more cash to get VPN, I upgraded my router's firmware and it had VPN services added in their binary.

julmoore4
Visitor

I know now that when my Vaio boots and I login, the driver install begins an the laptop freezes at the point it loads the WinpkFilter driver.

Anyone anything to help with this?