Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8.1 Update Has Left my Keyboard in U.S. Country Mode

profile.country.en_GB.title
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Windows 8.1 Update Has Left my Keyboard in U.S. Country Mode

Only yesterday I D'loaded an update for Windows 8.1 which sadly left my laptop keyboard with U.S. driver installed and I 've been trying to remove it over the past 24hrs, with no luck. Even though it shows that U.K. is installed the only way to find out is to try shift@ and it gives "

To get @ for an email address you have to use shift2. One of my biggest concerns passwords and why the keyboard driver was installed anyway.

Regards

Neil

6 REPLIES 6

LOL! Hopefully this will help.. you wouldn't believe how many times I have done this since Windows 3.1!

Hold down the windows key then press the space bar. (that should swith it back to UK - on older OS's it was ALT+Shift)

To get rid of the US option alltogether go into 'control panel -> Language -> Options then remove the US keyboard.

When you click 'save' the language bar (down by your clock) should dissapear.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Well I've tried the Windows key and spacebar sadly without sucess.

With regard to the control panel route, I tried this on more than one occasion and as you said it shows choice of UK and US and offers remove, so I've done this too and initially it appears to work but, again it doesn't work. It seems to accept remove and then it firstly comes back as US and the remove seems to un-zip its self.

I've never experienced this before, any other ideas?

Regards

Neil

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

I rather doubt as to whether this will change the outcome but, the laptop is a Sony SVE1512W1ES.

The US version seems to me to be somehow "locked" in place and I've already removed it on more than one occassion, it just keeps coming back.

Regards

Neil

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Neil,

You may first need to add the English language and keyboard layout that you want to use before you can change the keyboard layout. Have a read of the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-keyboard-layout#1TC=windows-vista

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Hi Rich

I've just used

Language>Advanced Settings and it appears to be delivering English (UK) but in truth I don't think it is. Now here's the problem possibly, Windows display language: Will be enabled on next sign-in (override) Keyboard layout: United Kingdom.

I'll give another sign-in and see what happens

Regards

Neil 

You shouldn't have to sign in again, re-boot or anything. I just tried it and you can switch backwards and forwards on the fly.

You shouldn't even have to fiddle around in advanced settings.