Join now - be part of our community!

sony motion eye webcam driver

ash.nair
Visitor

sony motion eye webcam driver

Hi
I have a sony vaio VGN NW-13GH notebook running windows vista-32 bit.A couple of weeks back the motion eye webcam stopped working.
It is being recognized as an unidentified device (5u876) and not showing under imaging devices
I'm unable to locate the device drivers for the cam neither on my recovery disc nor anywhere on the internet.please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
ash

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ash and welcome.

This is becoming a frequent question and there does not seem to be a solution yet.

The webcam appears to use the generic Windows driver C:\windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys

Find the unknown 5u876 device in Device Manager and try to force an install by right-clicking on the device with the yellow warning and choose Update Driver
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Select Have Disk....
Select Browse....
Browse to the driver installation information file at C:\Windows\INF\usbvideo.inf
Next ..........
If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
Close & Re-Boot

Can you please try this and report back - particularly if it works.

:thinking:

ash.nair
Visitor

hi again,
nope no luck still.I tried calling sony customer care tday for the 10th time.and for the first time they told me the drivers are not availiable on the website.They also told me i wouldnt have to re-install the lap for this issue and the service centre people will just re-install the drivers for me.Furthermore they also told me the 5u876 device is not the webcam device.
please clarify the above mentioned
thanks
ash

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm guessing it will turn out to be a WDM driver and they are too complicated for me! It will probably use the usbvideo.sys driver but the WDM Installer is probably part of the Arcsoft Webcam Companion software as Arcsoft says that it supports WDM compatible cameras.

Have you tried reinstalling the Arcsoft Software and seeing if the camera is recognised?

I would be surpised though if the camera is not a 5U870 device.

Keep us advised of developments as this is of interest to many useers.
:wink:

ash.nair
Visitor

Hi
Just to be on the safer side I downloaded arc soft web companion 3.0 as the one that I had exsisting on the lap was the 2.0 version.I open the app. and just as assumed it says no webcam connected.please connect and try again.I clicked connect and it says no webcam detected.
Thanks
ash

zico72
New