Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 license key

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
itshugh
Visitor

Windows 8 license key

Recently purchased my first Sony Vaio (with Windows 8). Have terrible problems with MacAfee  and would like to manually re-install OS. However - there is no license key on the computer?

Where should it be??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi itshugh and welcome.

Windows 8 notebooks will not carry the usual COA sticker.  The Activation process has changed fundamentally with Windows 8.

Previously, OEM machines were shipped from the factory already activated.  Now ALL computers will need to be activated on first use and there is no longer any periods of grace etc.

The individual product keys are supplied by Microsoft and injected onto the motherboard of each machine during manufacture - so it is now impossible to use the Key on another machine. Activation is automatic - although manual activation is possible in the unusual case of difficulty by providing the Activation Center with a very complicated code which will be supplied by the firmware on the motherboard.

This means that you can reinstall Windows 8 from ANY media and be automatically activated.  Replacement of HDD should not be a problem but, of course, a problem will exist if you change the motherboard!

:wink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi itshugh,

If you use the inbuilt system recovery utility there is no requirement for an MS licence key. Press the Assist button when fully shut down and follow the instructions.

Proir to taking this step you may wish to read this thread. - in particular gerryduggan's post.

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/827689#827689

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
itshugh
Visitor

I appreciate that I an use the system recovery utility - but I would like to do a "clean" installation of Windows 8.

Every computer i have purchased inthe the past has the OS key somewhere on the computer. Where is it for Sony's Windows 8?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Certainly with all Vaios I have owned there has been a Windows product key on a sticker on the underside, but this is an OEM key. Maybe something has changed with Windows 8?

I assume that you are trying to use an installation disk that has already been used and registered otherwise presumably there would be a useable and valid product key provided? Unless anyone has further thoughts I suggest you contact Microsoft for advice on their current licensing T&C’s.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
itshugh
Visitor

Every computer I have owned has had a Windows Product key on a sticker somewhere on the computer. This is the first time there hasnt been.

Strange thing though - I replaced hard drive with SSD hard drive and installed Windows 8 "clean" from an OEM Windows 8 DVD.

Windows automatically activated when I connected with internet - using the original key! Very strange!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi itshugh and welcome.

Windows 8 notebooks will not carry the usual COA sticker.  The Activation process has changed fundamentally with Windows 8.

Previously, OEM machines were shipped from the factory already activated.  Now ALL computers will need to be activated on first use and there is no longer any periods of grace etc.

The individual product keys are supplied by Microsoft and injected onto the motherboard of each machine during manufacture - so it is now impossible to use the Key on another machine. Activation is automatic - although manual activation is possible in the unusual case of difficulty by providing the Activation Center with a very complicated code which will be supplied by the firmware on the motherboard.

This means that you can reinstall Windows 8 from ANY media and be automatically activated.  Replacement of HDD should not be a problem but, of course, a problem will exist if you change the motherboard!

:wink:

profile.country.pt_PT.title
shyamlaltp
Visitor

Hope you will find the solution for your sony vio issue here . This link also conatins the image of the SONY vio laptop itself . Please check it here

http://www.techsupportportal.com/windows-8-oem-and-coa/

windows-8-COA-sticker.jpg

I would like to recover my laptop, I have deleted my windows 8 by acident and now it says I need a key to reinstall it

profile.country.GB.title
Spendwell

(Reply to Alex). Have a look at the base of your Laptop. You will probably see a sort of 3D sticker with the Windows 8 logo. If you do see that  then your product key is embedded in the device and a fresh install will pick up the key and be activated at first boot up.

Are you referring to a page early in the install which invites you to insert the key?

If so - just skip that option.