Join now - be part of our community!

windows professional 2000 upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dabarref
Visitor

windows professional 2000 upgrade

I have a pcg-fx105k laptop that has windows 2000 professional operating system, I cannot find any anti virus software that will load as they appear to be uncompatable with windows 2000.I have tried to get help from microsoft to upgrade the system but they say as the are not now supporting this system they cannot help. I have a windows xp upgrade disc and have tried to load it but up comes an error message that it is not compatable with my system . Is there any way I can solve this problem without having to pension it off.

dabarref

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dabarref,

Windows 2000 has not been supported since the mid 2000’s so I doubt that you will find any security software that will guarantee protection. Even Microsoft Security Essentials does not support this OS.

I upgraded a similar vintage model (PCG-GR114SK) from Win 2000 to XP some years ago now without any problem. My memory is a bit hazy on the steps that I took but I have a feeling that I first formatted the hard drive.

There is no reason that I can think of why your system will not support XP although you may need to do a bit of digging for some of the drivers if the original drivers fail to work – I had no problems.

The original Utility and Driver packages can be downloaded from:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=PCG-FX105K

If this machine serves your needs then I would persevere with an upgrade to XP. It may be worth installing a new hard drive rather than risk a format of the existing.

Good luck,

Edit: Further research suggests if you are attempting to upgrade to XP from Windows Professional 2000 (as opposed to a clean install) then you will need one of the following:

Windows XP Professional Retail (Full) Version
Windows XP Professional Upgrade Version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dabarref,

Windows 2000 has not been supported since the mid 2000’s so I doubt that you will find any security software that will guarantee protection. Even Microsoft Security Essentials does not support this OS.

I upgraded a similar vintage model (PCG-GR114SK) from Win 2000 to XP some years ago now without any problem. My memory is a bit hazy on the steps that I took but I have a feeling that I first formatted the hard drive.

There is no reason that I can think of why your system will not support XP although you may need to do a bit of digging for some of the drivers if the original drivers fail to work – I had no problems.

The original Utility and Driver packages can be downloaded from:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=PCG-FX105K

If this machine serves your needs then I would persevere with an upgrade to XP. It may be worth installing a new hard drive rather than risk a format of the existing.

Good luck,

Edit: Further research suggests if you are attempting to upgrade to XP from Windows Professional 2000 (as opposed to a clean install) then you will need one of the following:

Windows XP Professional Retail (Full) Version
Windows XP Professional Upgrade Version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
dabarref
Visitor

thanks for your prompt reply to my mail, I will very likely have to get help from an expert to deal with the driver problems and reformatting of the disc. as I have minimum knowledge on the more complex matters.  I have as mentioned an authentic upgrade disc to windows xp home edition with the  official key which will not load as error message comes up  not compatable. I have all the original restore discs that came with the laptop when i bought new. Are the drivers on the download site you refer to exactly the same as are on the restore disc I have and if so wont these already be on the laptop.

I hope you can guide me furthur.   dabarref

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The reason that you are receiving this message when trying to upgrade is that you need an XP Professional Retail or Upgrade disk in order to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional.

If you can still get hold of a legitimate copy of XP Professional then this will be the most straightforward route and should not need the assistance of a paid expert.

If you upgrade then all drivers already installed will be retained. My reference to ‘digging around for drivers’ is only relevant if any of the 2000 drivers fail to work with XP – as mentioned I had no problems.

Bear in mind that if you do go the route of formatting and installing XP Home then you will lose all Sony software that came preinstalled along with all personal data. Also all third party software will need to be reinstalled.

I hope that this helps.

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat