Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless adapter problems after full system recovery

profile.country.en_GB.title
RosieShand
Visitor

Wireless adapter problems after full system recovery

After weeks of problems with my wireless adapter connectivity, I was advised by the Sony helpdesk to carry out a full system recovery in order to solve the problem. However, the problem still persists even after my laptop has been fully recovered - I can connect to my network for less than five minutes, then all available connections disappear. I know that it is not the router because my flatmates experience no problems whatsoever. Do I need a new wireless adapter? Any help would be much appreciated - I'm getting desperate!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi RosieShand,

If you were to give your model number then someone may possibly have some suggestions for you.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RosieShand
Visitor

It's a VPCCA S10E or Z10E I think

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi RosieShand,

Can you please have a look on either the screen surround or on the white sticker on the underside of the notebook for the correct model number as neither of the ones you have quoted are EU product numbers – they may possibly be the chassis model.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RosieShand
Visitor

Sorry! It's a VPCCA2Z0E

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi RosieShand,

This may possibly be caused by an incompatibility between your Wi-Fi router and the the power save polling (PSP) feature of the Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN incorporated in your notebook.

Have a look at the following link for a workaround.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006205.htm#i

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RosieShand
Visitor

Those workarounds don't match the settings/properties of this adapter - it's an Atheros AR9285.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi RosieShand,

Yes, some confusion there as the Support site lists drivers for both Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN and Atheros adaptors.

As you have carried out a full recovery it narrows the problem down to either the card itself or some incompatibility with the router.

Before speaking to Support again I suggest you try the following.

If possible connect to another router to see whether this is more stable.

Try connection by ethernet cable - is this stable?

Check the security settings on the router - is it WAP?

If the router is set to wireless N only then change to Auto.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RosieShand
Visitor

I know that the problem is not the router because the connection is stable for all my flatmates' computers plus my iPhone and kindle. The problem must be with the card because I can pick up some connections sometimes but eventually they always all vanish and a message reads "there are no connections available" even tough I know the router is working and that there are other available connections nearby. I managed to connect for a few hours recently after I adjusted my bluetooth settings (i.e. turned it off) but eventually all the connections vanished again.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Assuming you have tried the suggestions above I’m afraid it is time to speak to Support again.:smileysad:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat