Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless connectivity problem

Alisdisgrace
Visitor

Wireless connectivity problem

Hi, this is my first post and, unfortunately, I am having to do it from my PC rather than from my Vaio.

I set up a wireless connection with the broadband service to my PC and all was well. Until yesterday, when my connection disappeared. Ran some tests and it appears that my wireless connection capability is switched off. The switch on the front of the Vaio is switched on and I cannot find any details of the function key combination I can use to switch the capability back on. Does anyone know?

I've also tried opening the Vaio Smart Network, but this isn't opening either. I've only had the Vaio a few weeks so this is a little disappointing to say the least.

Does any one have any advice? Many thanks.

Alisdisgrace

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi alisdisgrace and welcome to Club Vaio.

All models are slightly different - which model do you have?

Have you checked to see if there are any software updates available for your model?

:thinking:

Alisdisgrace
Visitor

Hi, thanks for responding. It's a VGN-NR11S/S. As I can't connect to the internet at all, I'm unable to check for updates nor download them. The wireless connection was fine one minute, but didn't work the next. The message I get keeps telling me to switch on the switch on the front of the laptop, but it is already switched on. The message also mentions a function key combination, but I cannot find out what that might be.

Any help appreciated.

yacine92
Visitor

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue on a VGN-SZ2XP/C, any help would be much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There is an update for the Smart Network available for the NR11S here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-NR&m=2869

You may have to connect using an ethernet cable to get online and download the updates.

:thinking:

Alisdisgrace
Visitor

Thanks. Will dig out my ethernet cable. Do you know what precisely this update gives?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks.  Will dig out my ethernet cable.  Do you know what precisely this update gives?

Hi Alisdisgrace

The VAIO Smart Network 1.2.01.13070 update addresses the following issues:

# Wireless LED goes off after Hibernation/Resume when connected Ad Hoc
# DNS Client stops
# Sometimes VSN icon in the system tray does not function
# Wireless Lan Card can be disabled in device manager
# VAIO Smart Network sometimes crashes

Alisdisgrace
Visitor

Thanks for that. I've plugged my ethernet cable into the back of the router and into the laptop but nothing seems to be connecting. Do I need to do anything else? Sorry to sound such an ignoramus, but I probably am when it comes to computers.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Alisdisgrace,

The MS Vista Windows Network Help and How-to Guide may help you diagnose your problem, use the following link to view: Troubleshoot network and Internet connection problems