Join now - be part of our community!

XL-201 display

Omnislash
Visitor

XL-201 display

Hello everything this is my first post here.

I got a xl201 on saturday and so far have had minor problems. Overall I am very happy with the system.
The problem I have however is the display on my Sony KDL-40S2030 is very blured and hard to read. Im struggling to read what Im typing now! Im running at 720i at 1216x684 60Hz. I would like to be using 1080i or p but I simply cannot read anything when I set the res any higher.
On my old pc (that used the vga port on the tv) was set similer res but at 70Hz and that displayed perfectly and was a lot easier to read. I dont know if its possible to make the video card display higher than 60Hz on the xl201 but Im sure that is what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

9 REPLIES 9
shenyap
Visitor

Hi, what I suggest you do is change the display from 95dpi to 120dpi or any custom size you want.

I have a 40" Sony LCD and have set the XL201 to 120dpi and it is perfect!

Hope this helps!

Regards
Shen

Omnislash
Visitor

Thanks for that!

That makes things better but could I ask what res your running at? Are you viewing at 1080i?

Thanks Matt

shenyap
Visitor

Hi

I am running at 1920x1080 and 120dpi via HDMI.
The XL201 is outputting 1080i after the initial startup which outputs 1080p (at least that's what the Sony LCD TV is telling me) :slight_smile:

Regards
Shen

wwarby
Visitor

For my two cents worth, I'd consider using 720p. Probably just like you, I forked out for a 1080i capable TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and then went for a media PC (also the XL-201) which was capable of outputting the full resolution of my TV. After 10 minutes of squinting at the TV I abandoned 1080i for good on the media center. I have a 37" screen which I sit 8-10 feet away from and text is impractically small on 1080i at that distance. Even at 720p I find myself straining sometimes.

If I'm honest, I can barely see any difference in video quality at the higher resolution which would be my only reason for wanting to persevere with 1080i.

-William

Omnislash
Visitor

I agree after all Ive decided to keep with 720p as 1080i is just not clear enough for me. Its something Ill have to keep having a go at getting better.

shenyap
Visitor

Guys, is there an option to run at 720p? If so, how do I change it to test it out please? I am happy with 1080i, 1920x1080 and 120dpi, but curious to see the difference...

Thanks
Shen

Omnislash
Visitor

Use the NVIDIA control panel. (Usually in the system tray or if not control panel.) Go to Video and tele and click on 'Change the signal or HD format'.

If you dont have the NVIDIA control panel I recomment you download the latest drivers from there homepage.

shenyap
Visitor

Thanks.

Now running 720p at 1216x684 which I must say is much more practical! It just shows how one can think that what they have is perfect until they try something else... in my case, 1080i at 1920x1080 with 120dpi vs. 720p!!

I stand corrected and your tips much appreciated!

FWIW, I cannot really see any difference in the quality of movie playbacks as well.

Regards
Shen

profile.country.en_GB.title
@7908848805001668
Visitor

I've just posted a similar question today (Sunday evening,25.2.07) before I saw this thread.

Although I've come to similar conclusions as the various other suggestions made, none have produced a Windows display on my new 2530, 32" Bravia that is anything like as good as a normal PC monitor - with both connected via the HDMI cable. The signal from the graphics card just doesn't seem to sync properly with the TV.

Andy