Join now - be part of our community!

Dab/FM Clock Radio XDR-C1DBP

SOLVED
patbeet
New

Dab/FM Clock Radio XDR-C1DBP

I have this new Sony radio for the bedside to replace a similar FM Sony radio bought over 40 years ago (that still works but not with DAB). The new radio came with only a A3(?) sized piece of paper with pictorial instructions that do not appear to work. I seem to have set it up to recieve one South Asian music station. I fear I am not from the Indian subcontinent so this is of no interst to me.

I try following the instruction but pressing the "menu" button does not bring up the menu. I try pressing the tune buttons in the hope this will go through the other stations but again no luck. Occasionally it will come up with question "auto Tune" when I press "enter" it just goes back to my indian station.

In a normal situation I would just take it back to the shop and swap the new radio for another brand. Unfortunately it was a gift from my son as a Christmas present so want him to know it is working and bringing delight to our early mornings! Anyone know if Sony produce proper written instructions for this radio and how to gwt hold of them.

Yours in dispair and frustration

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
patbeet
New

Doh! Discovered the problem. One of the control buttons on the back was stuck in the "on" position. Freed it up with a pin and now all working. I pread guilty to overthinking the problem!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @patbeet and welcome to the Community :drink:

I suspect that it may be the same as the 'manual' you got with the radio,

but the Instruction / operating manual can be found Here

I have a horrible feeling that you will probably have to return it though 😞

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

DAB coverage in the UK is still patchy at best.  Also, there are other factors that can hinder DAB Reception, such as if you are in a very built up area, your home has a steel frame or is made of re-inforced concrete etc etc.

A couple of websites that is worth going to are:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/currenttransmitters/

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/dab

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/information-for-industry/radio-broadcasters/coverage...

Another bit of advice is to try tuning the radio in a different location in your house.  To determine if there is a general fault with your DAB Radio, you could try tuning it in at someone elses house/location - assuming that you know that they have good DAB reception.  If it tunes in, then its your location etc.

Hope this helps further.

patbeet
New

Thanks folks for the help. I fear the web pdf is just the same information provided with the unit.

I know we have good Dab signal as our old Dab in the ktitchen has worked fine for the last decade as does the Dab in the car.

I think I need to accept that the unit is defective as prsssing the menu button does nothing and the tuning butons do nothing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

OK so DAB reception coverage is not the issue.  It does sound like a hardware fault im afraid.  And much harder when its a gift.  Speak to your son and see if he will either tell you where he got it from or get him to swap it himself?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yeah that was my thinking too regarding the menu problem,

hence the sad suggestion to have to exchange it 😞

patbeet
New

Doh! Discovered the problem. One of the control buttons on the back was stuck in the "on" position. Freed it up with a pin and now all working. I pread guilty to overthinking the problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting back - glad it was as simple as that (once you found the problem that is).  Have fun :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Yeeee-hah!

Glad its sorted :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Killiegradge
Explorer

I have only had this 2 days and the screen is blank.the radio works but I cannot see the time or access my alarm.