Join now - be part of our community!

How do I transfer my own recordings from my Net MD (MZ-N710) to my computer as SonicStage blocks the transfer

profile.country.en_GB.title
jimbobboyo
Visitor

How do I transfer my own recordings from my Net MD (MZ-N710) to my computer as SonicStage blocks the transfer

Is it possible to use the Net MD without SonicStage, is there a driver for example, that would allow the transfer to take place, as the only other alternative would be to record sound via the soundcard  in real time

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.hu_HU.title
djpese
Visitor

Hi,

Nobody understands Sony's strange policy with all those limitations (this is one of the many reasons, by which Sony killed out his own genius MD technology from the market). I tried Sharp's own NetMD software named BeatJam, but since it is built on the same OpenMG nonsense, it has the same limitations.

I don't have a solution for you, but maybe I can give an idea, which direction to start.

What is absolutely illogical is that Sony didn't allow transfer of your old MD recordings to the computer thorughout its model range, but when they came out with their very last MD walkman model (MZ-RH1), all of a sudden they lifted this limitation. So, if you have an MZ-RH1, you can freely transfer your old MD recordings onto the computer either in .oma (OpenMG Audio) file format, or - what is much better - into .wav format (where no limitations can apply). (Don't think this possibility is universal with Hi-MD walkmans - not at all ! Previous Hi-MD models - even the most expensive flagship MZ-RH10 - would block the transfer just like your N710. So, I had to buy an MZ-RH1 just for this purpose - completely crazy).

OK, a friend of mine managed to hack this recently - not in a commercial version yet, but he is thinking to develop his idea into a universally usable add-in. By changing some files, he simply makes SonicStage believe that he is communicating with an MZ-RH1. He can do it now track by track only (before transferring a track, he has to re-write some files in the software), but if you have a computer-guru among your friends, maybe he can try do something for you starting from this point.

You know what is the most funny?

OK, with the MZ-RH1, SonicStage would allow you to transfer the music file from the MD onto your computer. But when you try to transfer that particular file from the computer onto another MD, the operation will be blocked. Where is the logic?

My plan was to backup my compilations from the MDs and make new ones from the transferred tracks (an everyday operation with any MP3 player). However, SonicStage would hit on your hand virtually saying: "Oh boy, aren't you going too far"?

I don't think anyone on earth can explain me the logic, whether from copyright aspect or else - I think it maybe just lousy programming.

Anyhow, I fully share your upset and hope I could give you an idea, that can be worked out with some computer-freaks around you. Otherwise, the only solution is that you start saving to be able to afford an MZ-RH1, which is still selling for a fortune even in eBay.

Good luck:

djpese

profile.country.en_GB.title
timsw1
Visitor

Net MD recordings can only be transferred back to the computer they were originally created with. The MZ-RH1 doesnt solve this, Ive tried. Fortunately if ,like me, you have two MD walkman you can record in analogue from one to the other jack cable from (line out on one to line in on the other walkman).  As its analogue you lose the origianl track listing data so you have to rename the tracks yourself.

profile.country.hu_HU.title
djpese
Visitor

Sorry, my friend, but you're not quite right.

The MZ-RH1 would transfer onto the computer any recording, that was not written on the MD through NetMD connection. This means that no matter whether your old MDs from pre-NetMD era were recorded by analogue or digital (optical) input, you can transfer them onto the computer, but only with the MZ-RH1. Pre-recorded MDs are not exempted from this rule, you can make a backup copy of them (also only with the MZ-RH1).

You are right, however, if we focus the question only to NetMD recordings, that were made through the USB connection.

All in all, I believe it's a crazy mass, missing and/or contradicting any kind of logic, by which Sony was trying to - wrongly - protect its own interest as a music editor. A protection there was like a massacre here - even those youngsters, who could have been able to afford the high-price MiniDisc gear, were naturally not ready to fight with all those complications, so they abandoned the MD world before they got into it. Even though I am a crazy MiniDisc-freak, I believe it is not accidental, that this genius technology was killed out from the market by the double-face policy manuovres of its own creators.

All the best

djpese

profile.country.GB.title
RichRudd
New

I record from the minidisk into my PC using Magix audio cleaning lab.

flamesong
Explorer

I just wanted to add that after I realised this limitation, my MZ-N710 never got used again.

I recorded one interview and then bought A Marantz PDM 660 although that too had noise issues and I now use a Zoom H6.

I can't describe the frustration I felt at having made a digital recording, the only way to edit it was to transfer it to my Mac via an analogue cable.