Join now - be part of our community!

Missing music/folders using USB on MEX-BT3900u

profile.country.en_GB.title
geoffinbolton
Visitor

Missing music/folders using USB on MEX-BT3900u

I have a  MEX-BT3900u and am very happy with it apart from an issue were not all music on usb memory stick is seen by the unit.

I have a verbatim 8GB low profile stick that I leave perminantly plugged in, that currently has 70 top level folders and 504 folders in total containign 1219 files coming to 7.1GB.

The head unit only sees the first 51 folders, i've created a test with 150 top leve folders on a blank stick and they are all read.

I'd read somewhere that the format of the music is important, however, in my case music that cant be seen, can be when folders above it are deleted.

This is quite frustrating as I cant find the pattern to fix this, does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks

Geoff

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.PT.title
ciberboynuno
Explorer

I have the exact same problem , and no answer from Sony.

They have to release a firmware update for this radio.

facade
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem here.

Some folders it sees, others it won't see.

I tried renaming the files to shorten the filename and remove any character that wasn't a letter or a space, no difference.

I even edited out the artist name from the id3 tag, in case the unit is rejecting sony artists, no difference.

I deleted the album artwork from the tag, no difference

This file it won't see

Payload Size: 9880555 bytes
Header found at: 3752 bytes
Enc Delay: 576, Zero Padding: 1800
Length: 246 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
320 kbps, 9456 frames
44100 Hz Joint Stereo

CRC: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes, Emphasis: None

This one it will

Payload Size: 5767163 bytes
Header found at: 67900 bytes
Enc Delay: 576, Zero Padding: 924
Length: 228 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
202 kbps (VBR), 8733 frames
44100 Hz Joint Stereo

CRC: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: No, Emphasis: None

It isn't just that 320k files are not recognised is it?

Pity there is no data in the speceifications...........

mbrotto
Visitor

Hi,

I have got the same issue.

Is there a work around yet?

cheers

profile.country.bg_BG.title
vskivanov
Visitor

It's not about the 320kbs bitrate, because i've transcoded some 320kbs and 128kbs to 256kbs and it still doesn't see them. In fact I believe it's an error while the unit is scanning the usb device and not seeng entire folders. However it sees the USB system folders that contains some executables and PDF files... It's not the first issue I have with this unit, as it would pass  calls only while listening to radio. Even after changing the unit... The support rep of Sony was kind, but useless.

profile.country.bg_BG.title
vskivanov
Visitor

Looks like I've solved the problem.

As stated in the users manual, the unit supports UP TO 128 folders (including subfolders!) with 500 files in each one. When usb drive is inserted in the unit it scans it and when it reaches the 128th folder it stops. Any folders added further won't be read. The quick and dirty solution is to put all e.g. 20 albums of a band in a single folder. I'll leave comments to you...

Pity that the Sony support couldn't explain that and I had to spend much time and efforts to figure it out myself.

profile.country.PT.title
ciberboynuno
Explorer

Hello to all

I confirm the results posted by vskivanov.

I developed a tool that counts folders and files (and for each subsfolder), and it revealed that I had 275 folders. As soon as I reorganized the MP3 to 126 folders, the radio was able to "see" all the folders.

However, I was not able to test the number of files limit. I can only tell that I have in total inside the USB drive 1636 files.

If you need the tool that I developed, I am happy to provide the source code (contact by email).

Thanks

Kindly give your tool to me...(folder counting tool)

vedha.kv
New

Hi,

Could you please send me the necessary tool for viewing the Missing music/folder using USB device on sony cdx-gt490us car audio system.

Thank you in advance

giri

harkys
New

hello can you please provide me the source code  and how you do it ?

thank you  very much