Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-1000X and background noise during calls

Agresvig
New

MDR-1000X and background noise during calls

Hi all

Just got a pair of the MDR-1000X, and they are fantastic for my use which is primarliy in a office environment.

However, I've received complaints from those on the receiving end during phone calls that there is a lot of noise. I understand there is no "microphone noise cancelling", however it seems the mic for voice input is overly sensitive. Does anyone know where it is placed?

Anyone else have experienced this? It surprises me, as I've read that the mic quality on these is supposed to be excellent (source).

Any advice on how to minimise this noise is appreciated

30 REPLIES 30
mammoth30
Explorer

Hi there,

Same isasue here. To much background noise when on calls, not so cool for office use. 😞

Did anyone find a solution?

profile.country.GB.title
locomaniaholl
Explorer

Apparently resetting it helps . I bought a mini plug cable with commands and microphone . Helps

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

@Gringoonspeed

Were the replacement headphones better?

profile.country.SE.title
Octado

@locomaniaholl Can you please give an example of a "mini plug cable with commands and microphone"?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
avsha123
Explorer

July 2018, just bought mine a couple of days ago. I have the exact same issue. Still no solution from Sony? No firmware update? It seems like such a simple task, as every cheap headphones distinguishes much better between voice and background noise. When speaking on the phone I don't care about all the fancy features, I only want to be heard clearly and hear the other side reasonably, even without the noise canceling feature.  

profile.country.GB.title
Gringoonspeed
Explorer

I gave up.
Also concluded that this was the last Sony product purchased by me.
profile.country.GB.title
ro1980
Explorer

Have to agree with the above.  Terrible microphone - I was hoping to make these my bluetooth work replacements for a wired device but customers are struggling to hear me. Does anyone know if you can add a wireless boom to the USB? I kinda feel that would solve a lot of my problems! I know there's wired versions out there but it defeats the purpose 😞

profile.country.GB.title
pureyang
New

I have the WH1000XM2 so not the exact same headphone.

Same issue with low mic volume after purchase. Downloaded the "sony headphone connect" app on iOS. This prompted me to download+install a firmware patch. That seemed to fix the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Gringoonspeed
Explorer

Thanks, but the app seems not to work with the MDR-1000X. 

profile.country.GB.title
bonistamas
Explorer

What a shame really... I have taken my pair of MDR-1000Xs back quite a few months ago (last November). The WH1000XM2s were already out, but I lost my trust, so finally decided to go with the B&W PXs. I had a terrible first month with them because of causing physical head hurt, but after a month they became super comfy and I am still a happy user, enjoying superb mic and sound quality. It's so sad to read that this issue is still not solved, making the product being almost unusable for phone calls. Sony should know about this problem by now I guess, and it's really disappointing that MDR-1000X users are not getting any discount or something to buy the WH1000XM2s instead (if the mic problem is really solved with those).