Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-1000X headband cracked

profile.country.GB.title
pepeiborra
Explorer

MDR-1000X headband cracked

I have a pair of Sony MDR-1000X that I received as a gift in spring 2017. The serial number of these headphones falls within the range of 5000001-5256984 which means that they have weakened headbands. The headband has now cracked, and I cannot use them anymore. I have tried to get in touch with Sony customer support on the phone, but they don’t seem to know anything about this issue and insist that the item is out of warranty. What should I do?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @pepeiborra and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

It seems odd they weren't aware of the previous issues encountered by some members.

I will escalate this for you to see if we can get some further help on this.

Are your contact details correct in your profile?

profile.country.GB.title
pepeiborra
Explorer

Hi @jumpsuit, thank you very much!

My profile is correct and I can provide any additional contact details if needed. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

You're welcome :slight_smile:

Support may well be in touch via email but it could take up to several days.

Keep us posted if you hear anything.

Cheers :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @pepeiborra

I'm not sure if Support have been in touch with you,

but they have contacted me to say that as the item is out of warranty, 

Sony are no longer offering free repairs on these any more.

Sorry its not better news for you. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
pepeiborra
Explorer

Hi jumpsuit, 

Thanks for your help, but I disagree with this resolution.

The item was part of a defective batch, and Sony should have issued a recall when the fault was found.

Quoting the Sale of Goods act: "Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale)." and "For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement)."

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @pepeiborra

I was disappointed with their response too.

I fully agree with you :wink:

I will raise that point with them for you

and see what they say.

If I hear anything in the next few days I will let you know.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
barretta88
Explorer

Hi Jumpsuit

I have the exact same issue. They broke early December 2018. I bought them mid-December 2017 and I hadn't realised the deadline. Took them to the store about a week after they warranty expired. 

I am being told they are not under warranty due to the break being down to "physical damage". This is simply not true. The break is in the exact same spot as all the others described on this forum. The headphones are lightly used and in excellent condition. 

I really did expect more from a company such as Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @pepeiborra

I made another enquiry for you, and the further advice back from Support was that

the sales of Good act is between the customer (you) and the retailer, not the manufacturer, so if the customer wishes to pursue anything under the sales of good act, they need to get back to the retailer with whom they have entered a contract of sale.

Sorry its not better news but hope this helps.

Hi @barretta88 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I understand your frustration.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to get anywhere

at the moment regarding this.

You could always try contacting Support

(at the least to let them know that this has happened to another customer)

details here

profile.country.GB.title
barretta88
Explorer

Thanks, Jumpy. I've been speaking to them already. 

Like others, I am getting the run around. First I was told that it was "physical damage", now I am told they are out of warranty. Ironic thing is, they probably broke 12 months ago to the day. This forum is full of people with the same issue - how they can refuse to fix/replace these is astonishing.