Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDH-GTK11iP

profile.country.GB.title
tommytuck1966
Explorer

Sony RDH-GTK11iP

Hi, hoping someone can assist with my question.
Obtained a Sony RDH-GTK11iP speaker:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/sony/rdhgtk11ip/437929/
This unit does not have bluetooth capability, it has an old 30 pin ipod connector.
With other previous speakers/units I have been able to fit a 30 pin bluetooth adapter (i-link)
to enable bluetooth facility without any problems.
However my adapter fails to be recognised by the Sony RDH-GTK11iP, a message in the led display window says "connect".
My bluetooth adapter does go into pair mode when seated on the sony unit & is recognised by my perirheral devices ie tablet & mobile phone but unfortunately the problem appears to be the sony unit "not recognising my bluetooth adapter"
I have tried an apple ipod nano on the sony 30 pin dock & it works/reads fine although I also tried another ipod (a friends) & it wouldn't recognise it?
Further investigation online suggests different bluetooth receivers/adapters for a dock that chargers peripheral devices when seated as opposed to a dock that doesn't charge devices when seated.
This particular model that I have does charge devices when connected/seated on its 30 pin doc.
Unfortunately there is no 3.5mm input on this particular model either, it does have a DVD/comp R/L phono input, which should work with a cable to any of my devices.
I would rather avail of a bluetooth connection if possible.
A Sony shop rep stated that any of their speakers prior to bluetooth technology being fitted were no longer repaired by them.
I don't believe the dock is faulty, I am under the impression this is a compatibility issue & just hope there is a bluetooth adapter out there that my Sony RDH-GTK11iP will read, recognise or accept.
Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome, many thanks in advance.
Tom

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
tommytuck1966
Explorer

Quick update,
I have tried several sources to identify a suitable 30 pin bluetooth adapter to suit my Sony dock unit with no success as yet.
Just happened to have a 3.5mm to double phono lead (white/red) which I tried with my phone to speaker & it worked perfectly.
While browsing the web I came across a few stereo bluetooth adapters (powered & unpowered) which will enable bluetooth capability from my peripheral devices to the Sony unit via the DVD/Comp phono inputs at the rear of the speaker.
It would be ideal for me to still try & identify a 30 pin adapter but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

My second option (powered bluetooth plug)
http://www.layen-uk.com/Chilli-Bluetooth-41-Music-Receiver-Plug_p_83.html

Hope this post is helpful to anyone else coming across the same compatibility issues with 30 pin docks.
Tom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time in posting back.  Im sure it might help others in the future.  If it was me, id probably stick with the 3.5mm to RCA cable instead of the hassle of connecting two 'seemingly incompatible' bluetooth devices :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
tommytuck1966
Explorer

Further update:
Thanks for the reply Quinnicus but I would rather not have my peripheral devices wired in, less mobility (for what it's worth)
I have ordered the Chilli bluetooth receiver plug, which will give me bluetooth option & mobility with my phone, tablet & the likes:
http://www.layen-uk.com/Chilli-Bluetooth-41-Music-Receiver-Plug_p_83.html

I contacted Sony UK & they confirmed my suspicions that the problem lies within the apple 30 pin dock on the speaker.
It appears the Sony RDH speaker I aquired is a 2012 model & the 30 pin dock for that particular model is only compatible with the ipod gen/firmware of its time.
As the apple products have evolved so has the firmware (& ports etc) unfortunately & to this end it is my understanding that I would need a compatible 30 pin bluetooth receiver that suits the ipod firmware/gen in or around 2012.
Hopefully it will just be a case of dentifying which gen of ipod was used around 2012 as most generic bluetooth receiver/ transmitter sellers know which gen of ipod their product is compatible with.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update. 

Slightly confused - So that Chilli bluetooth plug will not work? 

profile.country.GB.title
tommytuck1966
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,
Sorry for the confusion, I am expecting the Chilli bluetooth receiver plug through the post any day now.
I'm 99.9% sure this will work when attached to the RCA ports at the back of the speaker, which will give me bluetooth capability with my peripheral devices.

I was investigating the RDH-GTK11iP 30 pin dock a bit further & Sony UK informed me that my unit is a 2012 model to which the (30 pin dock) software suits the apple ipod of that period only.
Unfortunately the software cannot be updated on the speaker to suit newer generation apple products.
This explains why some 30 pin ipods will work & some wont, it all depends on the generation (software compatible) model.
This means I can now identify which generation of ipod was suitable for my dock at that period (2012) & most likely purchase a 30 pin bluetooth receiver to suit, which should be compatible with my speakers 30 pin dock.

Why am I so concerned about identifying/purchasing a 30 pin bluetooth receiver when the Chilli "powered" plug receiver will work via RCA connection?
Well the answer to that is less wires & I don't like being beat when it comes to technical audio solutions.
Thanks for your interest & help, I will keep you up to date with my progress.
Tom

profile.country.GB.title
darknightbacca
Explorer

Hi tommytuck1966, i'm thinking of getting a used RDH-GTK37iP model and am looking into issues with it regarding newer iphones (iphone 5 / 6s plus), did you end up getting a working bluetooth receiver, or end up doing another solution to get bluetooth working, and do you think bluetooth would work via using the usb port ?

profile.country.GB.title
tommytuck1966
Explorer

Hi

Yes I was able to purchase a small portable bluetooth device which connected to the speakers ipod pin connection  which then gave me full bluetooth connectivity for any of my iOS or Android devices.

These bluetooth devices are widely available on ebay etc.

Search for ipod bluetooth adapter, almost sure it was 2and generation or 3rd generation ipod connection on the speaker.

A Google search will confirm this as it depends on the number of pins on the connector.

Definitely not the lightning connection.

Tom

profile.country.GB.title
darknightbacca
Explorer

Do you still own the RDH-GTK11iP and the adapter, could you tell me the exact one you got ?

profile.country.GB.title
darknightbacca
Explorer

Not to mention, it'd be great if you could provide me some insight on what works with the speaker, or what worked depending if you still have it, like what types of music worked, as in the format (mp3, m4a, flac, aac, alac)

I know for a fact that USB is limited to 320kb/s and mp3 & aac, but is bluetooth at all limited, as in is it a speaker global thing of song format limitations?