Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert
profile.country.CA.title
skatsman
Explorer

I was wondering if I had a defective unit until I found this thread. Yes, exactly the same issue. I actually noticed headphones started acting up when the temperature dropped just below +10C which is far from being considered as extreme cold, at least here in Canada.

profile.country.GB.title
Pingoazen
Explorer

Same here this morning in Paris (2°C), had a random pause and didn't know where it came from !

Savior82
New

I'm also experiencing this issue, hopefully they can release an update for the headphones, winter season lasts almost half of the year here and not being able to use these headphones outdoors would be a real bummer.

profile.country.GB.title
pepite_

Sorry no suggestion, just to mention that I am too affected by that, and I know of at least one other person here in Oslo also experiencing the same issue.
For me it happens daily, twice, on each of my commute to / from work by bike. 

I already had sent in my headphones because of the microphone problem. They already had shown some of the cold issues but I then thought that it was my hoodie pressing the button or something.  I can confirm it was not my hoodie and it is quite  bothering to have to turn them off, back on, and resume the audio.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @pepite_,

please convince your friend to post here as well - the more (and the more detailed) reports get collected, the easier it will be for the engineers to recreate the issue.

Please make sure to specify the ambient temperature as well as other other things you consider important.

- Nic

PoiDog
New

Got my pair yesterday and was really excited. After a few minutes, I noticed that I couldn't turn the volume up or down. I'm in Stockholm, so I'm guessing we're going to have a lot of cold days ahead of us. If this issue isn't addressed real fast, then I'm returning the headphones. Geez, only reason I got them was for my daily commute!

😞

profile.country.CA.title
skatsman
Explorer

Looks like this issue affects all units. Unlikely this can be fixed just by a firmware update. Would Sony go for a global recall? I'll be returning mine pair unless I hear back from Sony on this issue.

Marrson
Explorer

Hi @IamNic,

I've experienced the same problem with my pair of headphones, aswell as my friend with his pair.

The temprature was about -5 degrees (low humidity) today here in Umeå, Sweden and the headphones responded as described. I've also notised that rain causes the touchpanel to react aswell, probably because of the temperature change from the water.

-Mattias

profile.country.CA.title
Lovash
Explorer

I’m having the same issue in cold weather. Just got mine yesterday. It was -15 out (Canada) and the touch function was completely crippled. I googled this and it brought me here. Glad I was able to find this thread. I don’t think they tested this headphone in cold weather