Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.CA.title
Lovash
Explorer

@IamNic wrote:

Hello @virbalo,

there is not not necessary a need for this, since Sony is already investigating.

- Nic

where can we get updates about their investigations?

profile.country.FI.title
Airbus350XWB
Explorer

I'm living in Finland and experiencing all the previously mentioned problems. Siri popups, muting and unable to use the touch controls. Extremely disappointed!

Had pretty much decided to buy these, but this is kind of a deal-breaker living in Sweden. Guess it't time to check out Bose...

monol0g
New

I got my XM3 yesterday from amazon.de, and while walking from my bus to work (maybe a 3-4 minute walk) suddenly the song changend.

Sooo this is the problem? because of 2 degrees celsius my headphones that I bought for 366€ are going crazy :/?

It seems the issue has been known now for over a month at least, has sony responded in any way? is a software update incoming? 

profile.country.SE.title
rage1977
Explorer

Can confirm all of the above. New pair of XM3:s here in Sweden and they're beeping and blooping and going weird as soon as I go out into 6 degrees C and below. 

This is going to be some frustrating 6 months of cold weather if this isn't fixed soon. 

profile.country.GB.title
pepite_

I had already posted about it here but I just want to confirm that these past few days in Oslo, the temperature was above 0 (2-3 to 6-7 Celsius) and the problems occurred every single time I got out. 
I just put  that herer because the customer service had basically told me that they ignored the problems with these headphones because they assumed I misused them, that is I was not chilling in my 10 seater sofa in my penthouse I guess, and that they would work fine within the specifications, temperature range 0 - 40C.
Obviously they do not.
Sony, you better do something good quite soon, otherwise I will go around telling what I think of this, and it is not going to be pretty.  As a matter of fact, being the guy with the most recent and quite expensive headphones, close to christmas, I have been asked a few times what my thoughts were on the headphones. I was honnest (nice headphones, sound, battery, ..., BUT cold issues AND appaling customer service (just check the forums I told them)). Not one of them will buy a Sony.

profile.country.CZ.title
mantaraycz

Have the same issue, contacted local support. Let's see if anything comes out as a solution SOON.

profile.country.CA.title
skatsman
Explorer

Owned these headphones for a month, using them daily in the cold climate. Here are my observations so far:

Wind plays a big part, bad things start to happen above +5c when it's windy. Wind probably increases the heat loss due to fairly large and smooth service or 1000XM3. Wearing hoodie improves the situation somewhat. I also did not find that robbing hoodie against touch surface is a problem.

It seems to me that the issue is not only related to the touchpad. When I'm trying to turn headphones off on the cold I don't hear the confirmation beep or it's very faint and delayed. Feels like the whole circuit is frozen. This makes me think that just software fix probably not possible.

profile.country.GB.title
luigmari
Explorer

Wow, I thought I was the only one. (almost) glad to see that it's a common issue. 

The consistency with which this happens is amazing. Now I can almost predict when will Siri gets triggered :(. 

What are you guys doing about it? Are you waiitng for a firmware fix? or giving up on the headphones altogether? 

profile.country.GB.title
thingamajiggy
Explorer

I finally got a refund after sending them twice to service. Obviously they can't fix the issue yet so they basically said I could have my money back or wait for a new pair. I took the money and will be extremely wary of new Sony headphones in the future.