Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
Tysmailbag
Explorer

I’m having the same problem (America). My brother was blown away when he tried my headphones, so he got a pair himself. I was on 2.0 when he tried them. By the time his pair came, I had updated, and his new ones were on 2.0 still. Side by side comparison between the two was an absolute difference. I’m amazed and saddened by how much this update negatively impacted the noise canceling of these headphones. 

profile.country.NO.title
AndreasPe

Soon some tech media's will catch up on this case, hopefully something will happend after that.

They clearly do not understand that this is directly loosing market share towards Bose.

Sony: your community has been helping you and been warning you for 4 weeks now about a faulty firmware update, what's your response? Nothing.

The freaking update is still up for grabs Sony. What's is this? 

Good bye.

profile.country.GB.title
luigi.lauro
Explorer

This firmware is a complete failure. If I don't get an answer by sony for another 1-2 weeks, I will request a refund. My old MDR-1000X which I still have, have better ANC now that my new XM3 pair... which is unbelievable.

profile.country.GB.title
luigi.lauro
Explorer

@The_Black_Rose any news?

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

Any one had any luck with a refund? Got mine from a richer Sounds in the
UK and I'd expect them to point me at Sony.
profile.country.FI.title
rakkuj

Does anyone have contacts with the media? 

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

Nice to see sony are on the ball with this... Not.  I've just had this response from them. 

'We would like to confirm that the latest software isn’t meant to affect the noise canceling feature since it’s a built in feature with the headphone.' .

profile.country.GB.title
Vannglorious
Explorer

I don't want to return them really but if Sony will do nothing about this I will have to... I have been testing headphones recently and ANC is a joke comparing to how it was before. I have them on my head with ANC on (no music playing) and I could clearly hear two guys talking 7-10m away... It's like microphones picking on all voices around and letting them through. If someone is next to me I can talk with them with ANC on... They are not canceling them at all...

profile.country.GB.title
RandomUser
Explorer

The issue is definitely with voices or other high frequencies. Some youtubers have made videos comparing the firmwares but it looks like none of them tested NC with higher frequencies. I know that NC in general is not supposed to work well with high frequencies, but we all chose to buy the xm3 because it was so good at blocking voices. What the hell is it going to take for Sony to accept some responsibility? At this rate I would recommend everyone to begin refunding their headphones because currently Sony does not even admit that there is an issue. What a shambles. We all paid a premium for nothing, on to Bose it is then.

profile.country.GB.title
mrlemur

@EdwinaU Please advise if Sony has done anything about it?

To be frank, your support is useless. I have been going around in circles trying to fix this to no result.

Can I return these to Sony and get a new pair with 2.0.0 firmware?