Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM4 feedback noise in right ear

profile.country.GB.title
Mathew.B
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM4 feedback noise in right ear

These headphones have been working fine until about a week ago when upon powering up, the right ear cup blasted a high pitched whine when placed on my ear which lasted about 10 seconds.  Once it had finished, the headphones worked normally.
Now every time they are powered off and then powered on again the feedback whine returns for 10 seconds or so before fading out (and again allowing normal usage).
I have had to resort to putting them on and quickly moving the right cup to the side so that I'm not deafened by the high pitched sound and then once it has finished whatever it is doing putting it back and using the headphones.
Only other info I have is that prior to the whining noise there is a brief second or two of a light popping sound.

My best guess is that it is something to do with the noise cancelling function, but I'm by no means any expert!

Has anyone else had the same problem?

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Mathew.B
Explorer

Well after a bit more digging around I found out that you can reset the headphones!

I did a factory reset (turn off headphones while unplugged and hold power and CUSTOM buttons for around 7 seconds until the blue light flashes 4 times)
Once I did, the problem has appeared to gone away (for now 😄 )

profile.country.GB.title
Mathew.B
Explorer

Unfortunately that didn't last, the whining noise returned after a couple of uses.
The whining period seems to be lasting longer every time now too.

It goes away as soon as I disable Noise Cancelling, so I figure it is definitely related.

I guess I will have to investigate a return 😞

profile.country.GB.title
jesmith7574
Explorer

Matthew B - I have exactly the same problem. I have had to switch off the noise-cancelling, because the only thing it was cancelling was what I was listening to.

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Did you try to reset the unit and check if this will help?

profile.country.GB.title
jesmith7574
Explorer

I will try. Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Thank you

profile.country.GB.title
ArthurWellesley
Explorer

I've also had the same issue. How long did you own the headphones for before it started to happen? I've had mine about 12 months. I'll be returning them to the retailer under the consumer rights act as a year is an unreasonably short length of time for £300 headphones to last.

profile.country.GB.title
Mathew.B
Explorer

I ended up doing a return via Sony after being put through to them while trying to get a replacement from Amazon.

It took about a week or so (but there was some delay on my end getting the right proof of purchase together) and as they were unable to repair, they sent out a brand new pair of headphones.

Sony were very good throughout the process, no fuss or problems at all.

So far, they are working fine, hopefully they'll continue to do so!

profile.country.GB.title
Mathew.B
Explorer

@ArthurWellesley  I'd had mine about 6 months or so when the problem occurred.