Join now - be part of our community!

Walkman NWZ-A15 volume warning

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Colchemy
Explorer

Walkman NWZ-A15 volume warning

When the unit is turned on, it defaults to volume 15, out of a possible 0-30. 15 is too quiet on my  KOMC-IP4000 headphones, or on my supplied Sony earbuds, so I turn the volume up. AVLS is OFF on my unit.

Yet, to my fury, after a while, three beeps are heard and a message comes up on the screen: "Check the volume level", and the unit returns to a low volume. Thus, my listening is ruined.

How do I turn off this intolerable "feature"? I can't find this in the menu anywhere.

If this lroves impossible, I will have to return the unit to the supplier, and try to get my money back, unless Sony can remove it themselves.

I really hope someone can help, because I like the sound quality of Sony and don't trust other players to play my recordings gaplessly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again Colin,

I've checked this for you and confirm that you cannot officially disable the alarm and warning I'm afraid.  If you search online, you will probably be able to find a hack for this – but I should say that this is not advised as it will mean you are then ineligible for service support from Sony.

Another option is to import an American or Japanese model which has no limiter.  As you already have the European version, I realise this isn't particularly helpful (!) - but might be useful to be aware of in case this applies to any future purchases.

C

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @Colchemy,

The alarm and warning related to volume is in place so that the product complies with European Directives (see more info here). 

I will ask one of our product experts if it's possible to turn this off and will update this thread when I have an answer for you.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
Colchemy
Explorer

Many thanks. My only other solution is to keep the volume at 15 (the AVLS default maximum) and to buy a headphone amplifier. This defeats the object of buying a Sony, because the quality becomes limited by the amplifier, and I may get hiss or hum from it. I also have to carry another unit around with me, and assume it will not fit into the same small pocket I can keep the Walkman in, which is a difficulty I cannot see a solution to. Plus, all those cables...

I would probably just sell the Walkman at a huge loss after only 9 months of use, when I then have to copy all the tracks from the internal memory of the Walkman into a new device - the SD card can just be moved over physically. I do have copies on a hard drive, but sorting out which ones went into the internal memory and which into the SD card is another slab of work I would rather not have to do.

Hmm.. European Directive, eh? I voted out for exactly that type of thing - interference and nannying, from a super state that thinks its citizens cannot take responsibility for their own safety. I don't want to hear from them, in the same way I don't want to hear from a device telling me to turn the volume down when it has no idea how loud it actually is.

Best regards,

Colin Cook

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again Colin,

I've checked this for you and confirm that you cannot officially disable the alarm and warning I'm afraid.  If you search online, you will probably be able to find a hack for this – but I should say that this is not advised as it will mean you are then ineligible for service support from Sony.

Another option is to import an American or Japanese model which has no limiter.  As you already have the European version, I realise this isn't particularly helpful (!) - but might be useful to be aware of in case this applies to any future purchases.

C

profile.country.GB.title
Colchemy
Explorer

Many thanks. I followed the link you sent, about the warning, and since it occurs only once every 20 hours, I can live with it. But I am unhappy with it in general, and will not be buying another product controlled by the EU. I will look for a hack to remove the message; maybe an older version of the firmware could be online somewhere?

You have been very helpful!

CC

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

You're welcome Colin