Join now - be part of our community!

(WF-1000XM4) ANC & Ambient Sound Cutting Out / WHOOSH

profile.country.US.title
HomemadeToast57
Explorer

(WF-1000XM4) ANC & Ambient Sound Cutting Out / WHOOSH

WF-1000XM4 ANC/Ambient Sound Cutting Out

Description of issue:

While connected using LDAC, ambient sounds are cutting out all the time. This is creating a WHOOSH effect that feels like I am putting my head underwater every time it happens.

I was told by Sony that the 1.1.5 update fixed this but this does not seem to be the case, unfortunately.

How to reproduce:

1. Connect WF-1000XM4 to Android device (must support LDAC)
  2. Enable LDAC in either advanced Bluetooth settings or developer options
  3. Ensure earbuds are set on "Priority on sound quality"
  4. At this point, every time you start a new audio channel to the earbuds (while you are on Ambient Sound mode), you will get this cutout or WHOOSH
    1. You also get this EXACTLY 3 seconds after stopping the audio
      1. This does also happen on ANC mode but it is much less noticeable because the difference between passive NC and ANC is way less than the difference between passive NC and Ambient sound

Device info:

• Galaxy Note 10+-Android 11
  • WF-1000XM4 Version 1.15
  • Sony Headphones Connect app version 8.0.0

Troubleshooting performed:

• Clear data for Headphones app, forget WF-1000XM4 in Bluetooth settings, factory reset/initialize WF-1000XM4 and re-pair then do set-up again in Headphones app.
  • Tried on different galaxy device
  • Got replacement earbuds

To Sony:

I just spoke today with one of your "escalated support representatives" and it was a joke. They said they will not be looking into this and it is simply a "limitation of the product." He explained that this issue must be due to "Bluetooth connection interference." This does not make sense because even when not connected to Bluetooth, there is still ambient sound (it is on-device, not over Bluetooth). This also does not make sense because it is not the Bluetooth audio that is cutting out, rather it is just the ambient sound and ANC.

They also told me that there was nothing they were gonna do because only I had reported it (You would see this is not true if you read through these forums. I also told them many others on Reddit were having the same issues but they told me they will not listen to any Reddit posts because it is not a Sony forum. He ended it by telling me, "If you're not happy with the product, feel free to return it." This is really pathetic and upsetting.

I really hope you can set me up with a support representative who is willing to take the time to really look at this issue. A pair of $280 premium earbuds deserves better support than this. Please help a fellow customer out.

To everybody else:

Since this representative (who spoke for Sony) thinks this isn't an issue, if you have ANYTHING to add, please do so. Maybe even share your experiences below. Let's really push to get this fixed. I hope that we as a community along with Sony can work together to make these fantastic earbuds sail towards perfection.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.US.title
HomemadeToast57
Explorer

Thank you Joe!!!

profile.country.JP.title
SpicyFlame
Explorer

Thank you Joe!

That is good news! Hope it won't be too long...

profile.country.GB.title
Alan2win
Explorer

Hi Joe

I just received a firmware update (version 1.2.6) for my earphones today and I'm pleased to say that so far the issue has not been occurring. I will continue observing and update this thread if there's any re-occurrence (but I hope I won't have to...).

Once again, thanks again for everyone's help in resolving this issue :))

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Alan2win, that's great news!! I hope all the useres share their experience as well.