Who Me Too'd this solution

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@preeder1963 wrote:

Hi Quinnicus - I think Roobb was pointing out that with the TV's digital sound output set to PCM I am going to be losing some of the sound properties DTS etc as I understand that PCM is a compressed format.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

I think a read of this Cambridge Audio 'How To' may be illuminating.

It suggests a couple of reasons why you might be having issues with Netflix.

The first, that the TV might not output sound on Netflix at all, is not the case with these Sonys, I believe.

But the second, that the soundbar can only handle stereo and not any Dolby 5.1, DTS or Dolby Digital, which Netflix can output, is almost certainly the issue.

So PCM is your best bet here with this Cambridge 'bar, and you are not missing out on anything the soundbar can do.

You are missing on any 5.1 or 7.1 sound that Netflix and other apps on the TV can supply, of course; but to get that, you would need a full 5.1/7.1 surround system, or at least a soundbar capable of handling these, like the Yamaha YSP2500 or 2700. 

But these solutions are a long way north of £300; enjoy your soundbar for what it is, as a vast improvement on the TV's stereo speakers, with the TV outputting PCM to it.

i think this 'How To' is excellent by the way, setting out all your options very clearly indeed. You bemoaned that the issue you are having doesn't seem to be in the TVB2 help; is there no paper copy of this How To in the box with the 'bar, or at least referred to somewhere? It certainly deserves to be.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution