Join now - be part of our community!

how do I delete a download which won't load as an app?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
elahethe
Visitor

how do I delete a download which won't load as an app?

this download is a non-compatible app. it is visible in DOWNLOADS and is taking up space [198mb] but there seems to be no way to delete it. Help, please!

I am finding a lot of applications are not compatible with the Sony Tablet, only with your smartphones. what's the problem?

apps like The Economist - an essential of life - are not available for the Sony Tablet. this makes your product just about useless.

as is the non-availability of your Book Store.

as is the non- functioning of the Google Books app which will not allow me to access the site.

sync is ON, but the app keeps telling me it isn't. so it's malfunctioning.

I bought this tablet for book, magazine and newspaper reading and so far it's a FAILURE.

ANY advice would be welcome, because otherwise it's going back to the shop [John Lewis] with a full-scale complaint attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi elahethe,

To delete a downloaded file open 'Downloads' and touch the file you wish to delete - this will then be ticked. Touch the waste bin (top right) and the file will be deleted.

Sorry I can’t help with your other questions...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi elahethe,

To delete a downloaded file open 'Downloads' and touch the file you wish to delete - this will then be ticked. Touch the waste bin (top right) and the file will be deleted.

Sorry I can’t help with your other questions...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tobarre32
New

Have you tried out the Kindle App?  It works very well on the tablet & The Economist Kindle edition could be sampled.  I used a Kindle non-stop for 12 months but it has been virtually discarded since Santa brought the tablet.  Tommy.

elahethe
Visitor

thanks for your reply. to be fair, I did get there as soon as I realised the problem, which is that other parts of the system operate on drag and drop to delete and this screen doesn't. perhaps Sony could update their operating manual. there's no mention of 'check box and then tap waste bin' anywhere in the instructions.

for the rest, see below.

elahethe
Visitor

hi Tommy! and thanks for your comment.

in fact the first thing I did was to download the Kindle app and access my Kindle account, but as a subscriber I access the weekly edition of the Economist direct from the magazine, which is the full edition, not the highlights which I get sent to my email address anyway.

the Sony Tablet is set up differently than Android smartphones and is not compatible. I have spoken to the Economist direct and apparently there is nothing they can do. the programming error is at the Sony end.

there is also a problem with the Google Books app, which initially would not load to page. a workaround was to revert it to original download and disable updates, at which point I could access the GB site. however, this still did not give me access to the free books they promised would be on my bookshelf. I could download other free books, OK, but it was impossible to buy paid-for items as the purchasing facility would not activate. how crazy is that? particularly as updating the app disables the whole thing?

and of course Sony have not rolled out their own book store for the UK . . .

so I took it back this morning and got me an iPad.

breaks my heart, because the ergonomic design and appearance of the Sony Tablet is superior, but the performance is [word deleted]