Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Tablet P: Can it be used as a telephone?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
doupeel
Visitor

Sony Tablet P: Can it be used as a telephone?

Hi - am very keen on the tablet P but want to know how easy it will be to use as a telephone - this may finally be the fully integrated device for which I have been waiting a decade, but .... only if it's easy to use as a telephone in addition to all the other good stuff it does. Any information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

There is no direct way is can be used as a phone since it was never designed around doing that. Its main function would be like any other tablet (but in a folding form).

That being said, applications like Skype can be used which in all honesty is the closest thing to a phone you would get to on this device.

Hope that helps.    

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

There is no direct way is can be used as a phone since it was never designed around doing that. Its main function would be like any other tablet (but in a folding form).

That being said, applications like Skype can be used which in all honesty is the closest thing to a phone you would get to on this device.

Hope that helps.    

profile.country.de_DE.title
King_bob.
Explorer

If someone finally is able to root the device, you may be able to install the dialer and telephony app (it is allready on the device, but will probably have to take them from android 2.3) and use that to call.... root voids warenty.... dont do it! :smileygrin:

giotecno1977
Visitor

The device does have 3g cellular capability, but its being dumbed down to only receiving SMS text msg's as someone suggested only way would be too root the device and get a dialer on there, but honestly you wouldnt want to void the 2 year warranty for an oversized phone :slight_smile:

EssexJames
Visitor

I am able to send/receive texts on it.  I only discovered by accident when the device received a spam text.  I then tested sending an SMS to my normal phone.  Now I notice that my tablet has a voicemail waiting!  I guess I could put the tablet SIM into my regular phone to retreive the VM, but it would be so much cooler to be able to do it from the tablet.