Join now - be part of our community!

Update 4.0.3 r5a

profile.country.en_GB.title
to-tom
Visitor

Update 4.0.3 r5a

** Update **

After 2 days everthing is now working fine. Except the Tablet S just powers off and I need to reset it to work. This has happened 4 times since the update, but never happened before.

Now that I've had chance to use"movies" and "walkman" I really like what they have done. Very nice little touches that make it a pleasure to use both.

I am over the initial shock of my music/film/video not working, which was not a good introduction to the update! But happy no!

I found game icons disappeared but I put the them back and there seem to be no problems.

I will leave this thread open so comments can be updated and followed.

Have just updated on Sony Tablet S and:

1) The movie player shows downloaded purchased  films and tv shows from Video Unlimited, but will not play them  get message saying cannot play video.

2) The new movie player is  poor. Gone is the 3 choices of showing video/films. Replaced by boxes on the left for tv, movies and video unlimited. With littles squares showing episode/film.  Do not like this at all.

3) Walkman or other music players will not play music.

Great job Sony- email on its way to complain!

Message was edited by: to-tom

Message was edited by: to-tom

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes, completely uninstalled all as per your guidance. As previously stated only tried with Aldiko - then took nearly an hour to re-import 600 plus books!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

ouch. i feel your pain.

breedBenR

thanks for your update Waodowd

so it has to do with apps moved to USB(=the internal sdcard space), from their default 'on Tablet' location (=the system internal memory)

question remaining is now if this goes for all icons/apps that were moved, or to some only.

this should be fixed. it is unwanted loss of functionality with the update. it makes it more difficult to manage the various storage spaces on the tablet, and to adapt it to individual type of usage. After the crippling of the use of the external sdcard2 for data with the update from 3.2 to 4.0, this is a second set back, crippling the use of apps and the operating system.

Message was edited by: breedBenR

breedBenR

THE SOLUTION BELOW WORKS BECAUSE IT REINSTALLS THE APP IN INTERNAL SYSTEM

IF YOU MOVE THE APP2SD (MOVE FROM 'TABLET' TO 'USB') YOUR ICON FOR IT IS GONE

EASIER WAY IS TO MOVE YOUR APP2SD APPS BACK TO INTERNAL SYSTEM MEMORY, SAVES THE TROUBLE OF HAVING TO REINSTALL. THIS IS AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION FOR A SMALL APP BUT NOT FOR BIG MEMORY EATING ONES SUCH AS GAMES AND EBOOKREADERS AND ETC.

uninstall the app that has icon trouble

shutdown and restart tablet

install the app, placing the icon on the desktop

shutdown and restart tablet again:

icon has now stayed

no need for total factory reset

fix for the dozen of apps individually using above procedure

you will loose any app settings / app data associated to the app

Message was edited by: breedBenR

Added a message that it is a workaround not a solution

breedBenR

I believe this bug has to do with the mounting of the sdcard during booting.

this is slower/is done later in the boot sequence than it was done before.

if you have just started your tablet, and go to all apps, you will only see the internal memory installed ones.

if you wait 10 seconds, then suddenly you see all apps: also those you have moved to sd.

this is in the sony app launcher version that replaced the default one on the Sony tablets.

either the desktop icon list should also be reinitiated at that late time too,

or the sdcard should be mounted earlier in the bootsequence, as in the previous version of the software.

WORK AROUND 2

Use guestmode, to make a mode 'sdcard apps'

Give it All Apps, No Code for easy switching,

change the desktop wallpaper to your liking

add app icons from App2SD card apps

these icons will stay.

wait until after the media indexing before entering the guestmode 'sdcard apps' to be sure.

profile.country.en_GB.title
waodowd
New

Interesting. I submitted the following to Sony Support and had not heard anything so when I checked again today I saw that they had marked it as 'COMPLETED'. If I hear nothing further from them in the next few days I'll try to find someone to complain to.

Here's my problem as reported to Sony:

===============

Android 4.0.3 release 5aa upgrade to Tablet S [Incident:121214-000043]

After installing the above upgrade last night several icons disappeared which should not have. The respective apps were still installed so I placed them on the desktop using the App widget in the upper right corner of the screen as usual. They still worked OK, but when I powered down and subsequently switched on again they were again gone. I tried uninstalling one of them and re-installing it but the same thing happened again.

Two of the apps that I am having this issue with are BAD PIGGIES HD and PicsArt.

In case it is relevant, I had started the upgrade and about 2/3 of the way through the download it thought it was still downloading but the size of the downloaded data was not changing. I noticed the the system had scanned for further updates and it had found 3 apps ready to update; Since nothing was progressing with the system upgrade I installed these and then looked to see what happened with the Upgrade: It had reverted to the notification that the upgrade was ready to download and install so I started it all over again and this time it progressed normally but with the above noted problem. All of the above was done with a mains connection.

Please advise. I think there are about half a dozen apps in total which are affected.

===============

My tablet is not rooted and has had no previous issues.

I've included the Incident Number in case anyone from Sony is lurking in the shadows and would like to look into the issue.

Message was edited by: waodowd

UPDATE: 24DEC2012 at 12:22

This entry on the forum seems to have achieved what raising my problem with Sony Support did not achieve: I got two seperate responses from Sony Support. I let them know that there were now two of their people looking at the problem so they put it all in one case file and said someone from Support would telephone me.

I got a call last friday and was advised that I should do a backup as it might be necessary to do a factory reset. I said that I would need to sort out the best way to do that and they suggested that they could call me today (monday) and asked for a convenient time slot, so we agreed between 10 and 3; they also asked if I could make a list of all the apps that had disappearing icons, and could I check that all of the Sony apps were working correctly.

Over the weekend I took a systematic aproach:

1. I took a series of screenshots of the Apps & Widgets screens so I could see what was installed.

2. I checked each icon on these images to see which were not on my desktop (including those that I had removed) and listed them.

3. I cleared space on one of the tablet's screens and dropped the missing icons in the order that they occurred on the list.

4. After switching the tablet off and back on again I checked to see which icons had disappeared (there were nine in total).

5. I checked [Settings-Apps]  to see if there was anything peculiar that they had in common and sure enough they all had the option to "Move to Tablet". One of the problem apps was BadPiggies, so I looked at Angry Birds and that was "Move to USB storage".

6. I changed two of the problem apps from USB to Tablet, and after restarting the icons now remained. Just to double check I changed one of them back to USB again and the icon disappeared after the restart.

7. I went back into [Settings-Apps] and made sure that all nine problem apps were moved to Tablet and did a restart. This time all nine icons remained.

All of these apps were installed originally without intervention and had not been moved around by me as I had plenty of space so I don't know what has occurred, but I'm glad to have sorted it out. The apps that I had problems with were: Aldiko, Bad Piggies, Diamond Blast, Jelly Defense, L&M Guitar, PhotoViva Free, PicsArt, PicShop Lite, and Tetris. I had no problems with any of the Sony apps. 

Hope this helps someone else as I see that there are several people even on this sparse forum with the same problem.

Message was edited by: waodowd