Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Android TV - Blank Screen issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

2015 Android TV - Blank Screen issue

Hi all

Im creating a breakaway thread for this particular issue -away from the general chatter thread. 

In a nutshell, Sony require more information from the community in order to diagnose and ultimately find a solution.

Questions:

1. What model TV does this occur on
  2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview)
  3. If so, what devices (make/model) and how is it connected to the TV.
  4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ?
  5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random

I know some of you have answered this before, so appologies - the more people that can provide information, the quicker and more likely it can be resolved.

Thanks all.

85 REPLIES 85
Tarzion

It seems almost every brand out there has some issues or the other.

The new 2016 Sony models seem to have backlit and also active 3D.

I wonder if that will help with the bleeding and also the 3D crosstalk.

BrianDrought

The 65" is backlit. Seemed better than the 55 but had other screen issues. Mine has dark corners. 

profile.country.GB.title
mgeldard1573

Hi

KD-55X8509C

When using computer linked via HDMI into HDMI 2 or 3 or 4 or 1.

Blu-ray on Hdmi 1.

Freesat on HDMI 2

Yamaha sound box (Audio/Video) on Hdmi 4 ( ARC).

Grey screen when trying to connect back to Yamaha from any port using a computer on.

Happens every time after using computer on any Hdmi port, only option is to switch off.

Also unble to access TV settings while on computer , till I return to a nomal TV screen.

This will also happen if using computer connected through Yamaha box.

Tarzion

This blank screen issue is totally unacceptable. I am going completely bonkers over it.

I have switched unplugged my TV for more than 5 mins atleast 3 times, yet there is no picture on the screen.

2 months lead time for this fix is a complete no go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

As an update - this appears to be resolved in EU countries.  Awaiting for UK firmware release at the end of Feb, which should resolve this for UK too.

Cheers

Tarzion

This has not been resolved for the EU countries. Infact the issue was not present on the current UK firmware.

I am using a Irish firmware 3.169 and now it's become worse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - will feedback to Sony

profile.country.sl_SI.title
Komparko
Explorer

Hi, I completely agree with Tarzion, the firmware 3.169 on my KD-55X8507C, which was bought in November 2015 in EU, is worse than the previous 3.155.

My TV now, sporadically at its own will, turns on. For example, during the night or when no-one is at home. Frequency of this unwanted behaviour: daily. This behaviour was only once observed also with 3.155.

On the other hand, the TV now has a very strong determination not to switch off. Sometimes I can switch it off for 5 or 6 times in a row, but the TV will always turn itself on agaian after a few seconds. In such occasions the white light below the screen does not switch on. After so many unsuccessful tries to switch the TV off I usually perform a reset. This helps for some time.

My common observation is that with increasing time, after the TV has been reset, the problems become more frequent or new problems emerge. This to me looks like memory leaks or improper management of device's memory pool or poor application initialisation.

Even though this thread is about blank screen with sound still on, I have to admit that I havent noticed this kind of error with 3.155 of 3.169. I noticed it in previous versions, this was the reason that I joined this thread in the first place.

I strongly suggest to Sony to defer the planned February release of new updated functionality firmware for a longer period of time, e.g. six months. During this time Sony should devote all its efforts to rigorous testing, debugging and defect resolution, with focus on critical and serious errors, as well as to speeding the normal TV operations (e.g. changing of digital channels is three times longer than on a three years old Bravia, the change from watching digital TV to Guide is also very long with 2 (two) black screens in between - too much time also takes going back from Guide to the digital TV, etc.).

The application Video is still very buggy and lacks functionality:

- The <- button does not start rewinding until you first press -> for fast forwarding.

- If you play a video from DLNA NAS, then stop watching video (e.g. go to digital TV), then go back to Video app it is very likely that the application will not be able to connect back to the NAS or to show its file structure

- Info button is not active (it could show the similar type of information as during digital TV - current time, date, remaining time, name of file, properties of file...)

I could not find any usefull/detailed explanations on all TV settings (eg. for picture, for sound...), I simply do not know what to set and how to get what I want.

The volume of different digital channels, inputs or applications is not equalised - for such an intelligent TV this should not pose a problem: to monitor the volume and normalise it to an equal level across all channels/inputs /applications.

The remote controller with thrack pad is not very user friendly, I find it hard to use in a consistent way (tracking and clicking are not as good as on PC track pads). Beside this cumebrsome use I miss the Info and Guide buttons on this remote. Therefore I rather use the IR remote (which does not have the microphone input). So, instead of having just one useful remote, I have to use two semi-useful remotes.

The menues and user interfaces are inconsitent, the analogue Tv, the digital TV and the Android TV apps behave quite differently.

Despite all the flaws described above, I thnk that the picture quality is superb, and this is the only reason why I haven't yet returned the TV back to the retailer. But I'm slowly getting impatient, seeing that the quality of firmware corrections is going in the wrong direction.

I hope Sony will stop releasing rubbish firmware updates and start doing the proper job. It's about time.

Tarzion

"My common observation is that with increasing time, after the TV has been reset, the problems become more frequent or new problems emerge."

This is exactly what I have noticed.

Inititally I had power cycle my TV for approx 10 seconds one in 2 days.. Now I have to power cycle the TV for approx 30mins to 1 hour before it displays a picture and even that is not guaranteed.

I wondering if it's developing a hardware fault or if certain batches are faulty.

Tarzion

Every time I switch off the TV using the remote and switch it on again, it goes into the blank screen mode.

The only option is to pull the plug from the mains for an hour or so.

Is there a workaround this problem? At least reduce the time for the power plug to be pulled off the mains.