Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Ifishdk
Explorer

Model 55x8505c
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@frogger38

I saw that post, and I'm guessing now that its a random bug. 

Before updating the TV, I did a reboot, so everything was fresh, then manually searched and installed the new firmware. Since then, all the things that were issues I was not happy with and annoying, like 5.1 via ARC, lip sync HDMI, slow UI, crashes, reboots and 5.1 Netflix have disappeared from my 50W805C.

All other things like cast, TV SideView, network storage and so on are still working fine. I do note though, some are saying that cast was working after the update, then did a reboot or factory reset and now its not! I haven't had a need (yet) to do that. So I could still end up in the same situation.

I'm in the mind to turn off auto updates in the event the fix for cast breaks something else LOL.

UKPiglet

Can anyone tell me how to:

1) get rid of the irritating Twitter feed from the action menu. If I remove all the flagged keywords it will not let me save the settings. I can't see where to remove it.

2) remove the apps I don't want from the homepage

3) remove the recommendation line entirely - I've un-ticked all the recommendation apps, but it still takes up homepage space

I want a family TV, not a crappy unconfigurable social media display.

I dont know how to remove Twitter or pre-installed apps, but the "Sony Select" menu, can be removes by goin into Apps, finding Sony Select and Select Shell, force close, remove data and hide notifications

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

In regards to 'cast' not working - this has been reported by various experts on these forums and Sony has confirmed this issue.  Engineers in Japan and Europe are now working to find a solution.

Will keep you all updated once more information is known.

Cheers

anjenki75

@UKPiglet wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to:

1) get rid of the irritating Twitter feed from the action menu. If I remove all the flagged keywords it will not let me save the settings. I can't see where to remove it.

2) remove the apps I don't want from the homepage

3) remove the recommendation line entirely - I've un-ticked all the recommendation apps, but it still takes up homepage space

I want a family TV, not a crappy unconfigurable social media display.

I believe it's possible to replace the launcher with another one, e.g. HALauncher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.i.akihiro.halauncher&hl=en_GB

No idea if this will do what you want though.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure Sony planned to introduce "restricted profile for Android" in the 13th October update but I never checked if they did before returning my TV. In theory wouldn't this allow you to restrict access to certain apps? I guess if the feature is there you might find it in the User/account part of the settings.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@Brigante01

120Hz..:smileybomb:

Are you sure? I'm not sure what to say,other than the tv / display doesn't go over 60Hz in any mode. :alert:

Please read the manual, or just look at this picture with its HDMI Spec's so you can see what to calibrate too :

SONY X83C HDMI Spec's

And as a PC user myself, but in 4K (i7), Please see this on how to Configure your tv / display for a PC Signal :smirk:

SONY X83C Pc Input Via HDMI 2.0

If your seeing "noise" or "artifacts" as you call them, I would hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they are more likely dead pixels now. :minus:

I did also state previously here on this forum never feed it an interlaced signal, otherwise that will also result in a hardware fault, which I don't think SONY should be liable. It also states this multiple time though out the manual.

Unfortunately, as other here have stated, it seems most owners of a new 4K tv / display don't even read the manual, set up guide or reference guide. They just expect it too work out the box......:smileysilly:

I am very happy with my purchase, and Android (Can't say too much because of several NDA's) has become Sony's OS of choice, it has even recently been built it into the UNIX system. :drool:

The Headphones do sync, I enjoy my Blurays in 7.1 due to them. :remote:

The TVSide App work perfectly, and if their is an issue with it, just got to the website and you will see how to address what ever issue you have with it. I've really enjoyed seeing my iPad and iPhone ect come up on the big screen with nothing more than an ip address added.

Miracast and AirPlay are old tech, that we just don't need anymore, but they will never tell you that. :zipper_mouth:

I would suggest to you that if you are serious about you display, you should run the THX Optimiser for your display. :trophy:

You will be able to also see if you have any dead pixels now too. :cool:

Kind regards

Richard

Al_Charles

Does BBC I player work, I just tried it on my 55x8509c and I get a black screen. Nothing else.

cozzykim

@rsebre

Are you saying that your headphones will pair via bluetooth, when you say "The Headphones do sync, I enjoy my Blurays in 7.1 due to them."?

I can't get the TV to even recognise my Jaybird Bluebuds, it just says "searching for accessories" continuously.

UKPiglet

iPlayer is fine on my machine.

All I want to do is to pick and choose from the apps on the machine.

Bug: If you turn on "Restricted Profile" then you lose BBC iPlayer even if you give permission to ALL the apps in the list.

This makes "Restricted Profile" utterly useless as it's not one of the apps I would restrict. Ever..