Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
t1mmm9879
Explorer

I also find the PS4 is extremely responsive on game mode now. 

I'm actually OK at call of duty on the w805c! 

profile.country.GB.title
PhilipO13

So then... having put up with this Android TV debacle for months now and remaining optimistic beyond all reason, YouView is finally a reality and as it turns out, HDD recording looks to be a nightmare waiting to happen (or not-to-happen if we use the mutually exclusive YV system) in the very near future if current timelines are to be believed (after all, why shouldn't we?!).

Nevertheless I breathe in and make the most of it.  I embraced the new YV programme guide and despite the lack of a few optional necessities (reminder/bookmarks etc) quickly come to the conclusion that the one-flick (wireless) remote thingy is now next to useless with it so decide to revert to the standard remote, a bit big and clucky but reassuringly solid so never mind, I've had bigger problems with the TV over the last few months than this inconvenience...

It's at this point that I find that the _SONY_ CT780 soundbar purchased with my 55X8509C completely obscures the TV's IR receiver - great design job boys - there's got to be an award in there somewhere for you.  Fancy managing to make your TV and soundbar incompatible with each other at such a fundamental level... pfft....

Does anyone have any suggestions (that do not include wall mounting my TV above the bench, inverting gravity or other acts of witchcraft) as to how I can get around this?

Keeping the faith... Barely...

Phil

profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

Re post by Bar--8 posted in June, on poor quality of SD channels, and halo around moving elements.

I had the same issue but found it to be picture configuration.

• Action Menu
  • Select Picture
  • Advanced settings
  • Clarity
  • Sharpness
  • Turn it down to about 20

I also select High for 'Random noise reduction' and 'Digital noise reduction', but does not work for some content like fast moving programs.

Hope this helps.

PenPal1999

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipO13 - if witchcraft and assuming wizardry is out, how about looking into a IR repeater for the TV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ir%20repeater&spref...

No they cannot pass through 5.1 from HDMI to optical , it comes out as pcm , so pro logic II or DTS neo 6 are the best options for surround sound set up in this way 

profile.country.GB.title
PhilipO13

Thanks for that @Anonymous – perfect 🙂

A great pity though that the touchpad remote isn’t suitable for YV – I was getting used to it and kind of like it!

So… I can now stop working on the mirror array to bounce the IR signal the 1/2” required and shell out £10 on some hardware to get around this design flaw. Just need to address the ‘black screen’ crash issue now and figure out how (or if) the heck I’m going to record programmes at the same time as retaining YV/on-demand features should an update happen. More challenging issues methinks…

Triswillmott

@Anonymous after the struggle I've been having with my x8509c I finally managed to get a replacement tv Wednesday. Decided to watch a film yesterday evening and noticed this one has ridiculous light bleed and clouding making it worse than the last. It's so bad that it's the worst case I've actually seen in person. Where do I stand with this in terms of requesting another replacement?? This is starting to become a joke now
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Triswillmott wrote:
@Anonymous after the struggle I've been having with my x8509c I finally managed to get a replacement tv Wednesday. Decided to watch a film yesterday evening and noticed this one has ridiculous light bleed and clouding making it worse than the last. It's so bad that it's the worst case I've actually seen in person. Where do I stand with this in terms of requesting another replacement?? This is starting to become a joke

I have had 5 with the 5th being pretty much as I would expect at TV of this price. My x8509c cost me £1799 when it came out, so I was never going to accept a blotchy bleeding to with bright spots as my previous ones were.

My advice is to keep swapping until you are happy, clearly Sony do not understand the meaning of quality control and have a bunch of school rejects programming their operating system! Couple this with the moronic people they employ to man the customer service team who promise everything and deliver nothing. They do not return calls or emails and lie constantly. 

I do want to make a special note of thanks for @Anonymous who has done and exceptional job on this forum. Keep up the good work mate!

rdlowry

I've been using YouView on my 43W755C for just over a week now. Initially I was really pleased. The new EPG and mini guide were big improvements over the original Sony EPG despite the lack of reminders etc. It's also been handy having all the main UK catchup TV services. However after using it extensively for a week I'm finding that the TV can become very sluggish and unresponsive while using the YouView guide with button presses on the remote either going unregistered or taking a long time to be recognised. I've had to power off the TV at the wall several times to make it usable again. It seems there's still a lot of optimisation left to do.
lesking70

Hi all Id just like to jump in on that last message my 55x8507c is also displaying the same sluggishness after prolonged use of youview, yesterday the tv just decided it had had enough displayed a white screen then rebooted itself, since then it seems okay ish