Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@spook63 wrote:

@waynefatboy wrote:

Ahh right I had it set up with a dns proxy to access American Netflix maybe that confused the update then

Same problem here, no fix available apparently. Unacceptable.

Having just completed a factory reset - don't ask... I note I had to specify my country during the initial start up. Why the updates can't use that info defeats me. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
spook63

@Peter_S. wrote:

Hello everyone,

Hardware specific the European models are equal (except power plug) but different to US sets.

Therefore the IP check detected that you're not living in the UK and applied the EU version to your TV.

Unfortunately I factory reset won't solve the issue.

Anyway, probably the next firmware update for UK end of March will turn your TV back into a UK version.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

Despite repeated requests Sony Service have to date failed to come back to me with a solution, so your comment about having to wait until March is illuminating. As far as I am concerned, waiting until March to reinstate functionality that has been lost as a result of a Sony update issue that Sony are unwilling/unable to resolve is totally unacceptable. Therefore, in light of your comment, can I now replace or reject my set under the Sony guarantee?

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

I was looking on the you view website & there is info about Sony TV's  HERE It might well be worth keeping an eye on as well as looking out for Sony updates.

jodagna
New

Also performed a reset last night after 10th December update slowly deteriorated into an unusable set. If this does not fix the TV's going back as its obvious Sony cannot suppot Andriod TV.

frankie1g

I think replacing boards is stupid and shows that Sony are think if the are seen to be doing something that's OK. We want a running functioning TV that's all not the moon on a stick  Sent from my Samsung device
adyjay33

I'm having an issue with the Amazon Prime app... trying to use the Amazon UHD on on the TV give a nice an error, it was fine before I updated a few days ago now I just get License Error coming up. Plays all other streaming ok but not UHD... I have two Fire Sticks both not UHD but thr app on the TV is supposed to be for UHD and it was once, have Sony broken that too?
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Caledonian_TV wrote:
Spoiler

@Peter_S. wrote:
the next firmware update for UK end of March will turn your TV back into a UK version.

SERIOUSLY???  -  So there you go folks!  If you're sets a brick because of Sony's failure to understand how  IP routing works just live with it 'till March!  - MARCH? I hear the observant cry?  Christmas Eve's off then!  

As ever, @Caledonian_TV, you are so balls-out to criticise these Sony Android TVs that you weaken your own case by rather over-egging the pudding.

What's the real difference between the UK firmware and the EU firmware? YouView and.... er, that's it.

You obviously don't have YouView enabled at present, or you would not be able to pursue your satellite investigations. So is your TV a brick? Er... no.

And I suspect there are quite a few people out there who suspicion (erroneously I believe but let that pass) that having YouView on their sets, even disabled, is adding to their woes. They would probably love to have their sets 'bricked' by loading the EU firmware.

Speaking of puddings, I note that Xmas is nearly upon us. I know you want to keep the Sony set, despite all its failings, so you can continue to fulminate on here; but I wonder if you haven't got a trained and experienced broadcast professional's studio out back that you could move it to, or at least a TAEBP's shed, and do it from there?

Then you could get your family something they could work, and that they don't have to keep crashing deliberately to stave off the set crashing itself, for their greater quiet enjoyment over the festive period. 

Don't you owe them that, at least? :gift:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
baz4096

@adyjay33 I'm having the same issue "license error". Was trying to play a uhd documentary this morning. Also it seems my Netflix is not able to play anything at all, tells me to restart my TVs and router...

ronniebr
Explorer

@adyjay33 I'm having the same License Error problem with Amazon UHD files.  I tried to resume Elysium which I bought using the Amazon app on my KD-55X8509C and it wouldn't play. I tried Orphan Black and it had the same problem.  Non UHD files are playing okay.

Netflix UHD files are playing back fine

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

royabrown wrote

As ever, @Caledonian_TV, you are so balls-out to criticise these Sony Android TVs that you weaken your own case by rather over-egging the pudding.

What's the real difference between the UK firmware and the EU firmware? YouView and.... er, that's it.

You obviously don't have YouView enabled at present, or you would not be able to pursue your satellite investigations. So is your TV a brick? Er... no.

And I suspect there are quite a few people out there who suspicion (erroneously I believe but let that pass) that having YouView on their sets, even disabled, is adding to their woes. They would probably love to have their sets 'bricked' by loading the EU firmware.

Speaking of puddings, I note that Xmas is nearly upon us. I know you want to keep the Sony set, despite all its failings, so you can continue to fulminate on here; but I wonder if you haven't got a trained and experienced broadcast professional's studio out back that you could move it to, or at least a TAEBP's shed, and do it from there?

Then you could get your family something they could work, and that they don't have to keep crashing deliberately to stave off the set crashing itself, for their greater quiet enjoyment over the festive period. 

Don't you owe them that, at least? :gift:

Missing the point completely there...

Apparently loading the EU firmware loses you the Freeview EPG also... So you're left with the satellite style 'now and next menu'...  Just like a £60 'Chinese junk' set you can buy from a flea market.  'Bricked' in terms of yet another basic function.

Apparently Sony think 'wait 'till March' is a suitable answer to that; I say that's not good enough.  As is the fact that what seems to have been quietly introduced into the mix here is the fact that the promised December 24th update isn't going to happen! - Yet ANOTHER broken Promise fron Sony!

For my own part...  I've already said Sony have 'till after the festive season to sort this out.  At which point they can either exchange the set for one that works; or I can make it the star of the show - buying another to keep the family happy. 

Again; I bought the set online, had it delivered (which cost money) etc to save me time and effort. As I work with this sort of equipment for a living I've really no desire to come home at night and continue working with TV sets!  So Sony (because this is their fault/problem)  have already been invited to replace the set... With one that works.

Capiche?

As to the rest of your comments... Unsure if this was an attempt at injecting humour; but if so it missed the mark as far as I'm concerned and you to may refer to Arkell Vs Pressdram for my response!