Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
CraigMcK-27
Explorer

Mine is doing the same thing.

I noticed this morning the power LED was on. pressed the remote without thinking too much about it. picture came on but no sound. Remote did not work either, nor the rear buttons. Pulled the plug and powered back on. Worked ok.

Came in a lunch, LED on again, switched it on with remote, then same thing, no sound etc. 

Really wishing I had not gone down the Sony route, at least it was working to some extent before the last "stability" fix, it's laughable that SOny think this is ok.

I'll do a restore tonight if no better I think it's time to call JL and see what they will do as I've had enough of this nonsense

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@adimarsyyy may you post a picture of your TV showing the System Info in order to check that the upgrade ended correctly? Which remote software are you using?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck returning their TV after the shops standard return policy term has expired?

Cheers
ID

chbjerg

I've just bought a 65X8509C, and there's significant background bleed from both sides. Any way to calibrate or do I have to take it back. 

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

In another thread of this forum, I wrote about a bad HDMI problem affecting my Sony KDL-50W808c Android TV:
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd55x8509-hdmi-issue/td-p/2091665/page/3

I copy and paste that text here for your convenience.

Recently I bought a 50W808c and I’m mostly satisfied with it — apart for two issues: a bit of clouding, and an annoying behaviour causing a malfunction to the other devices connected through HDMI to the same AV receiver where the 50W808c is connected to. More precisely, the audio hiccups when, in example, I play a CD on the player and the TV is OFF

The TV has to be turned ON to allow the CD player to function properly. The same thing occurs with any device connected to the AV receiver through HDMI (in my case, a CD/DVD player, a BD player, an Apple TV, a Western Digital WDTV Live): if the TV is turned off, the device’s audio hiccups.

I found that the problem starts exactly after 15 minutes the TV is turned off. On the AV receiver’s display, I notice that the HDMI OUT indicator flashes randomly while the audio hiccups, so it’s likely the 50W808c, after 15 minutes it’s off, perturbs the HDMI “network” shutting off and on repeatedly its own HDMI port.

This never occurred wth my previous TV connected to the same setup. I tried also connecting a friend’s 43” Samsung TV and it doesn’t show this kind of behaviour either — so it’s peculiar to the 50W808c.

I tried other HDMI cables, and I disabled all Bravia and CEC functions (on all devices, receiver included) — with no avail. I tried also different HDMI ports, even disabling ARC, but the past-15 minutes HDMI breakdown (when the TV is turned off) persists.

I had to connect the CD player’s audio through the coaxial port to be able to listen to CDs with the TV turned off (the problem occurs only when the device’s audio passes through HDMI).

Also, turning off the screen (action menu >>> picture off) while I listen to HDMI devices like the Apple TV (which is the only device freaking out during HDMI breakdowns even if I route its audio stream through the optical port) proved to be a sensible move: since the TV's electronics are still active, HDMI is not frantically switched off and on 15 minutes after the TV is turned off, so all is functioning properly. I'm wondering how high is the TV's power consumption in this mode though.

Anyway, without the Sony TV connected to the receiver's HDMI port (or with a different TV connected to that port — namely, I tried my old Sharp 32" and a new Samsung 43"), all devices in my setup work flawlessly. It's undeniably the Sony KDL-50W808C when turned off that is messing up with my setup.

profile.country.GB.title
sticklebricks
Explorer

I have a sony sound bar and am experiencing lip sync problems on all apps now, even after switching output to PCM like I was recommended before.

I'm getting really bored of this now.

moorfielddt5
Explorer

Had my firmware upgrade yesterday and am pleased to report no problems as far as that went.

Sadly can't say the same for the lip sync, after an hour of watching Amazon Prime I've had to switch my Sony sound stage off as the audio was well out of sync. Touch wood TV speakers appear OK.

It's like there is a mismatch between the audio stream sample rate and soundbar DAC rate resulting in a FIFO filling up with a gradual increase in latency.
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

My KD49X8305 had settled down nicely over the last 4 ot 5 weeks and had given me no problems but regardless I installed the update last night.

Subsequently I had the TV turn itself on this afternoon and also noticed the wired network wasn't showing as being connected.

Couldn't get it to see it at all so I did a power off reset and the network is now fine.

Been playing this evening looking at the settings to see if anything changed and mainly using Youtube and it does seem a little snappier as others have found.

Everything seemed to work fine without and any issues as it did before the update.

I have YouView disabled and have Sky HD so I guess most of the time I only use the TV as a glorified monitor so am unlikely to experience many of the problems of others her.

alekoo8
Explorer

The whole point of getting an Android TV was to use Kodi on it and to be able to install apps that make the Smart Tv even smarter. We just finished watching Luther Season 4 yesterday on Kodi and got the system update message before going to bed. I'm cautious when it comes to these updates as they generally break things or remove functionality. So updated the 49x8309c in the dining room. The 55x8509c has auto update turned OFF.

I wanted to check if USB recording was enabled. Which it wasn't. And noticed the icon for Kodi had disappeared. Bad form Sony. No Kodi for us is a deal breaker.

saab93f
Explorer

I have a KD49-X8305C and actually quite few problems compared to what I've read here. Anyway The TV does not for some reason update to 3.169. I tried at first from an USB-stick and then OTA but to no avail. The set claims to be up to date but it is 'only' 3.155.