Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

mine turned on itself in the middle of the night too the day I updated.  Didn't do it last night.

being a bit laggy every now and then I can live with, but turning on itself for no reason is a pain in the *****.

walshy5050

Well just updating the new firmware on my TV see how it gos if I have any problems this time it's going back 

chbjerg

Almost 100% sure it was the Raspberr Pi that turned mine one via CEC. I conected the Pi to the tv's USB, and 5 min after tv is turned off, i guess that turns off the usb and on again, which reboots the Pi, resulting in the Pi turning the tv on again

Haven't checked yet, but it dawned on me during the morning, that this must the scenario

mk1.golf.1983

@chbjerg, I can confirm that the usb on these sets do seem to turn themselves on and of whilst in standby, well I can assume they do at least. Our Kdl43w755c No.4 used to power on and off our usb hdd whilst in standby, you would hear the drive spin up. Haven't noticed it yet on tv no.5

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@peterrbowman

It's a satellite tuner, but not a Freesat one.

I don't know who is selling it as 'only Freeview' but it isn't Sony; see here, where the twin satellite tuners are firmly still part of the spec.

If you were sold it as having Freesat, then you were missold. But are you quite sure they said 'Freesat'?

If you were sold it as having satellite and 4OD, then you were likewise missold. At best, at present, it is 'or'.

I have pressed YouView on the topic of why you cannot have satellite and YouView together, but no official reply has been forthcoming. I find it discourteous that they have completely ignored my perfectly reasonable question.

One might hope for co-existence in a future upgrade, or possibly for co-existence on a 2016 model, if the issue is memory footprint, and the 2016 models come with more memory.

The Kremlinology of YouView is generally that they will often tell you things if it's their fault, but not if it is somebody else's. But it may be safer to examine the entrails of a goat for clues, rather than rely on this supposition 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

Hi

I ask my question again.

Should the "Auto Picture Mode" work for the "TV" it is greyed out for me, if i choose an input (HDMI) i can then choose, auto, Auto (24fps) or off ?

Many Thanks in advance

mattstev

Possibly have said all is ok a little early... Just had to do a reset due to sound but no picture. Lip sync is better but not perfect (using the TV speakers - not a sound bar).

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

My KDL50W807 only arrived yesterday, I did the software update after setting up and so far all has been ok.

no lip sync issues for me but I have all my devices plugged into my AV reciever which feeds the TV.

I did notice that my tv turned itself on twice yesterday when I was stood near it but both times it happened I had just been using the Sony remote app on my iPhone. 

willapp
Explorer

Just an update from me. Had an engineer visit yesterday from a local company on behalf of John Lewis. After establishing that I had the latest firmware already, the engineer agreed there is absolutely nothing they can do to resolve these issues as they're definitely software related (as if I didn't know already).

Had a fairly in depth discussion with him and he agreed that Sony's Android TV implementation is not going down well with lots of customer complaints of issues like those being discussed here. He agreed that I'd be better off persuading JL to refund me and getting a Samsung instead so I'm off to JL at lunchtime to begin the saga of convincing them that my Sony is not fit for purpose and therefore I'm entitled to send it back.

FWIW even after the latest firmware I'm still getting sound sync issues - at first it was looking better but last night I was watching a Youtube video and it started off okay but after a few mins the sound was suddenly 4 or 5 seconds behind the video and nothing I tried was able to fix it, aside from a full power cycle. Also had a new issue since the update where the input selection menu (that appears down the left when you switch inputs) would disappear immediately when you pressed the button, meaning you couldn't change input at all. Trying from the home screen didn't work either - as soon as you scrolled down onto the inputs section, it disappeared!

Just fed up with it now.

nik-007

Sony Rep visited my place to check TV and agreed nothing he could do and gave me option either to take refund or he can send technician for further check. Obviously I disagreed for technician and opted to return it back and bought Samsung. One word for Samsung after using Sony that it's generation ahead of Sony. It's very responsive and everything works as it should. The experience is switching from Chinese phone to iPhone 😜  I'm signing out of this forum, but my suggestion if you can then get rid of this crap and buy which is worth the money.