Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
john.pringle

Has  anyone with blank screen and sound issues been fixed  with this update ?

walshy5050

well spoke to currys theygave me a phone number and told me i need a code of sony before they will exchane it.

so spoke to sony they went through another factory reset and diabled softwear auto uptades and auto time update and turned off remote start and said they will ring me back on tuesday to see how it go's.

so i aske how will i know when the next update will be he said we will inform you they carnt even ring people back .

profile.country.GB.title
AnthonyMK
Explorer

is there a changelog for the update?

also anyone got any decent links for calibration settings?

DarrellM
Explorer

A fellow Sony forum member who has exactly the same issue just sent me this:

"Hi,

Did u manage to solve the issue with the update?

My Sony Bravia TV has the same irritating problem after updating... It stays in a loop!

Called Sony helpcenter and they told me the following:

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then  connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

But still no luck.."

I've tried this also. The TV reboots, brings up the Sony logo followed by the firmware setup logo whilst it loads the data from the USB port, 1-2 minutes later the TV automatically reboots, the Sony logo appears, 2 seconds later the Android loading animation appears and 30 seconds later the TV once again powers down in the load/loop crash cycle. No fix there. It's been 4 days now without a usable TV.

Hansieboyke
Explorer

Identically the same situation here!

Doesnt work... 😞
profile.country.GB.title
jamiehan2004
Explorer

New February firmware has broke my TV, I turn it off when I go out, go to bed,etc and when I come back the LED is on, I turn TV on and there is no sound and the remote control and back panel controls don't work, even tried pressing standby on remote for 10 seconds to try and reboot with no effect.

I have done a factory reset and turned tv off, exactly 1 hour later the LED turns back on on TV and turn it on with exactly the same faults.

Now its friday night at 22:47 and Sony support are now unavailable until Monday at 9am which is utter crap, cos that leaves me with a faulty TV till then, which is less than 2 and a half months old.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Oh my dippy days, October, page 208  I think, is the last time I was on here. Had to take a break because this whole thing was consuming me and my time. Although I have been taking a little peak hear and there at some of the email notifications. Lots of new folk, and even think I saw some accusations of SONY spy's in there too LOL. This is a bit of a lengthy post, but there may be some info that could help, or just a boring post.

Since Oct I sill have my KDL-50W805C, had and made numerous emails with SONY and other emails people were talking about way back when in earlier posts to [edited by moderator to remove email address] even call backs...WOW! All be it the call back came about 3 weeks a go, after the email was sent on the 06/11/15. It was the result of me emailing the mentioned address. I managed to get out of SONY as compensation a H-TC380 soundbar.... this was after I turned down the offer of a poor 3 month extra warranty extension. Don't really care about the soundbar, I use it as a PC speaker (because it has HDMI passthrough) and also because SONY gave me the money £249 to buy it. Argos had it for £199.99, so a bonus £49.01 to play with.

Now, I have had my auto updates tuned off for a while because one of them fixed stuff like 5.1, lip sync and others, there have been a few updates since, that I chose to skipped up until now, and that is because my setup, KDL-50W805C, PS4, SKY+HD, SONY BDV-E3100 were, and still are working in unison!  What caught my attention on this particular update, was the instructions that came with it in an email, "Leave TV turned ON for at least 30 minutes after the installation is completed, to allow the background processes to fully update." This is not far off what I did a while back when things started to work on the TV.

I turned my auto update off quite some time a go, really don't remember which PKG2 it was, but I do remember that I did a factory reset, powered up, entered all the usual set up features and left the unit on for as long as possible without tinkering and pushing it like you would normally do with a new telly. Later that evening, before bed, I did what ever that update at the time was and kept the telly on for an hour or so after it had finished, again without tinkering or messing with it. Turned it off and went to bed, the next day, to my surprise I remember the telly turning on quick, menus being snappy and my personal fave 5.1 via ARC. From then on updates were turned off, I was happy.

Now I have been following peoples posts on here to see how the update went, first impressions were to avoid, but curiosity killed the cat, and I have always been curious as to what got the cat so curious in the first place.... so went ahead, did a reboot the night before (just the power button reboot). The next day turned the telly on and left for an hour. Turned off and disconnected all peripherals and did the dreaded possible bricking update and held my breath......... All went well! Again, left the telly to do its background processes for about an hour and everything is OK. Did have a moment as others have mentioned about the remote, but from past experience's I learnt to use the app to change the Vol or press home, anything really on the app and it wakes the remote control up instantly. I also now see from some comments that if I hang on a little 30 seconds it wakes up anyway.

I know I am one of the few now, that has a working TV, but it wasn't always like that! It was twitchy and did my nut in. I still have thoughts and pangs when something doesn't sit right with the feel of the unit. I sincerely hope that the future of these units get sorted, and that the update for HDD Rec and PAP as mentioned http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499 here comes soon.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Bluetooth keeps randomly disabling itself with latest update. Not only that but you cannot turn it back on without a reboot.

Tall.Paul
Explorer

Flipping thing had turned itself on again when i came down this morning, if it did this while i was away for a long period of time i would be furious, had enough of this now, i want a tv Sony not something i have to babysit!!

mrrcoffey
Explorer

No - when I turned my PS4 on last night (which is set up to turn on the TV automatically), the TV switched on with sound, but black screen.  This happens pretty often, and requires me to remove and re-insert the HDMI cable.  Suffice it to say that it's not a problem with the cable.

With this update I've also noticed a generally slower turn-on time. 

I've also noticed that when watching Blu-rays on PS4, the i (information) button on the remote used to bring up the bar along the bottom of the screen showing how much time had elapsed; now it just brings up the banner at the top that shows the screen format.  Very annoying!