Join now - be part of our community!

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Hi all

Please feel free to put in any requests for future updates and features you would like to see added. Of course we can't promise that we can deliver on all of them as there may be technical/commercial/resource limitations, as to why they aren't possible, but everything will be considered.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enable sticky tag

281 REPLIES 281
philc27
New

A 'return to the previous channel' button on the remote. It's essential if you need to flick between two channels, and there are too many channel numbers to remember these days!

TK9999
New

Would love to see the following on my EX503:

1. 4OD
  2. ITV player
  3. Web browser with Flash support

Thanks!

profile.country.en_FR.title
alanscoachdriver
New

When using the Video On Demand features when a programme has been watched don't start streaming the next one automtically. Go back to the menu screen.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
kervern
Explorer

timeshifting for all model, and hbbtv !

Catmambo
Contributor

Some great comments so far guys  - please keep them coming.

I'll comment on a few.

• HbbTV  - At the moment, no UK broadcasters (unlike French and Germans) seem that keen on it as a standard instead plumping for their own standard, YouView. Have to wait and see on that one..
  • Remote contoller back button - we might be able to get this added to the smartphone app (presently available for Android and iOS, if you weren't aware - check your store for 'Sony Media Remote - Also free as in beer), rather than the physical remote  - although to be honest not sure why it was taken off in the first place:smileyconfused:
  • Flash - Normally is very heavy on memory and CPU + license fees to Adobe, so not sure it would be possible to be added to current devices.
  • Widgets - More on the way as well as new video services for both 2010 & 2011 devices :slight_smile: Working with some pretty exciting partners at the moment!
  • Screen off for Audio only  - very good idea.
  • Better Codec/Container support - A personal frustration of mine also!! All over this...
  • CIFS Client - must admit I hadn't heard of this prior to dyonissos mentioning it.. I think we might struggle to do this as consumer adoption & awareness doesn't seem that large unfortunately.

Thanks

profile.country.ro_RO.title
dyonissos
Visitor

The CIFS client would be extremeley useful for those that don`t have a media server.  Personally i find the DLNA useless. Every vendor implements it differently. There is currently no media server to satisfy everyone.

On the other hand, with a CIFS client you can browse your local area network shares and play whatever files you have there if the player supports it. Any 100 - 150$ media player can do this. I even was able to do it with a Samsung TV.

I don`t understand why the supported container and codec list is so ..... poor. Basicly all the other manufacturers support now the mkv container, why Sony doesn`t?

Regards,

Dyonissos

Renzoellul
New

Catmambo wrote:

Some great comments so far guys  - please keep them coming.

I'll comment on a few.

• HbbTV  - At the moment, no UK broadcasters (unlike French and Germans) seem that keen on it as a standard instead plumping for their own standard, YouView. Have to wait and see on that one..
  • Remote contoller back button - we might be able to get this added to the smartphone app (presently available for Android and iOS, if you weren't aware - check your store for 'Sony Media Remote - Also free as in beer), rather than the physical remote  - although to be honest not sure why it was taken off in the first place
  • Flash - Normally is very heavy on memory and CPU + license fees to Adobe, so not sure it would be possible to be added to current devices.
  • Widgets - More on the way as well as new video services for both 2010 & 2011 devices Working with some pretty exciting partners at the moment!
  • Screen off for Audio only  - very good idea.
  • Better Codec/Container support - A personal frustration of mine also!! All over this...
  • CIFS Client - must admit I hadn't heard of this prior to dyonissos mentioning it.. I think we might struggle to do this as consumer adoption & awareness doesn't seem that large unfortunately.

Thanks

Catmambo

What is important is that the widgets and video services are open to all regions in europe and not only limited to the UK or specific country. I know that there are licencing issues which might complicate things. In my case living in Malta we have no online video services, to be honest the broadcasting content is so poor that I am not bothered. Still having access to content from other countries is very useful

Any other enhancement should be also spread across all european firmware. My Bravia was imported from Italy and so the firmware updates I get are specific to Italy only.

Regards

Lawrence

Catmambo
Contributor

Generally updates are pan-European although there are often some localised tweaks depending on broadcast infrastructure and standards. Widgets and video services are where possible rolled out to as many countries as possible, but as you point out its generally licensing that's the biggest issue as rights are so horrendously fragmented..

profile.country.en_FR.title
alanscoachdriver
New

A Power Off button on the iPhone Remote App.

sully1311
Explorer

• 2010 Models to receive 2011 features: Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Track ID, Video Search, USB HDD Rec, Media App Remote Support etc
  • HD Support for BBC iPlayer
  • Music Video Service (eg. VEVO/VidZone)
  • More TV Catch Up Services (ITV Player, 4oD)
  • More Codec Support (AVI, MP4, MKV especially)